Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Electrics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th February 2011, 11:05 AM

Thanks guys,

Baz, yes I,m using the 1.8CVH, good idea about "borrowing" a set of leads...but I think Ronnie may have sussed this as the IVA manual states a "Manufacturer" / Trade name must be stated on the leads.....and as you say most ( I imagine ALL) leads are made to comply with the suppression requirement etc....

Tho I will keep my eyes peeled for a set of leads that actually state " suppressed" on them .

Thanks for your input guys, I suppose the IVA manual is open for lots of "Interpretation" ...just would be an annoying reason for a £90 retest etc etc for the sake of the plug leads .

cheers
andy
Old 20th February 2011, 03:05 PM

I have a slightly different take on this - just because a part is a replacement it does not mean it is spec for spec an equivalent. No 2 in my list says Trade name AND trade description. Hence I think that unless the leads are actually marked how can the IVA inspector confrim that they are suppressed (a bit like the issues around fuel filler hose). The safest option is to get something that has markings on it - a quick look around the net and the NGK site shows there are a couple of standards ISO 3808 and 6856 for spark plug leads and suppression.

I think the best option is to get a set of leads with an ISO code and the word suppressed on them if possible.
Old 20th February 2011, 08:57 PM

hi

we've just done a bit about this at college so i'll pass the word on

EVERY car should have radio suppression on the leads as it can interfere with radio and even TV signals.

it can also interfere with the modern 'fly by wire' systems on some new cars, a couple of the merc's that it was first fitted on decided they were going to jam the throttle wide open and end up in a ditch.

dont know for IVA but a receipt or packaging may keep them happy?

Cheers
Old 20th February 2011, 09:21 PM

This is/has been an interesting discussion, lots of good idea,s & points of view

May I ask the forum members that have passed the IVA test what leads they had fitted please? ( what markings the leads had etc)........did the examiner check the leads etc etc

cheers
andy
Old 20th February 2011, 09:58 PM

From what I've learned about the IVA test on this forum, it's down to the tester. So it would be best to find out who the tester will be when booking a test and then ask him what's his opinion on this issue.
Old 20th February 2011, 10:40 PM

here is my take on it: Originally Ht leads were copper, they played merry hell with radio and tv as the high energy transients were effectively a spark transmitter. These leads have not been used for donkey's years, nearly all leads now are made of a conductive carbon core that has inherent suppression characteristics. In other words modern leads don't need suppressors because the resistive carbon is itself a suppressor. When I last did SVA the inspector had some sort of device that measured the RFI (radio frequency interference) My car passed ok. I think the rules are there for copper wires and possibly old points based ignition systems which emit all sorts of nasty radio interference if the condensor has gone. If your wires are all sort of floppy (very technical, I know ) then they are resistive carbon and should be fine, it they are quite rigid they are most likely copper and they will fail. My leads were not marked but other testers may be a bit more pedantic than mine was.
end of sermon.
Enoch
Old 21st February 2011, 07:47 PM

My take on it is similar to what enoch has said, non suppressed leads haven't been used for a long time and all modern style leads should be fine

As always though its down to the tester on the day

At my iva he did have a brief look at the leads and quickly moved onto looking elsewhere, mine had a couple of ISO numbers on them nothing else and it went through with flying colours