Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Electrics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th October 2009, 11:31 AM

Be careful if working from the fusebox. You could have more than one circuit connected a fuse.

Always worth a double check with the wiring diagrams. They will start to make sense.

If you have connectors that your not sure what they do, you could trace them back through the loom to see where they go. I did this with a couple of mine. I didn't have that many spare in the engine bay that I can think of. Put up the pics and I will see if I can tell you what they are.

Mark
Old 28th October 2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
Be careful if working from the fusebox. You could have more than one circuit connected a fuse.

Always worth a double check with the wiring diagrams. They will start to make sense.

If you have connectors that your not sure what they do, you could trace them back through the loom to see where they go. I did this with a couple of mine. I didn't have that many spare in the engine bay that I can think of. Put up the pics and I will see if I can tell you what they are.

Mark
thanks mark,
oone last thing if anyone knows, where can i find a diagram of whats what in the fuse box as i have lost the fuse box lid with the diagrams and cant find a fuse box diagaram anywhere??
Old 28th October 2009, 12:37 PM

Have you got a Haynes manual for the sierra?

If so page 13.50 give a list of the fuses along with their rating and the circuit they control.

If not pm me your email address and I will get my mate Dave to email them over to you.

Mark
Old 28th October 2009, 12:42 PM

cheers, the page was sitting right in front of me, but yet i missed it, i was reading that earleir but didnt remember that was the fuse box locations...dopey
ive started with the interior lamps,clock door locking ans mirrors bit... so far so good.. but there's so much loom tape on it
Old 28th October 2009, 12:52 PM

Just to give you an idea. Have a look at the pic I attached in an earlier post. This is just a pile of bits I removed from the loom. I have since added to this pile with all the unsed relays and fuses. I have even removed all the unused relay holders & fuse connections from the fuse box.

I wanted to make the loom as simple as possible, if I ever need to do any fault finding.

Mark

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/attac...4&d=1253789382
Old 28th October 2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Just to give you an idea. Have a look at the pic I attached in an earlier post. This is just a pile of bits I removed from the loom. I have since added to this pile with all the unsed relays and fuses. I have even removed all the unused relay holders & fuse connections from the fuse box.

I wanted to make the loom as simple as possible, if I ever need to do any fault finding.

Mark

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/attac...4&d=1253789382
how much of the loom is actually left after wards??

Also, is there somewhere i can find out what each relay is for?
Old 28th October 2009, 12:57 PM

One other thing if using the sierra loom.
As standard you can turn the foglights on with just the side lights.

If you look at AdrianH post about his IVA failure, this was one of the things his car failed on.

You will have to add another relay and some power feeds / earths etc to make this only work with dipped & main beam. I am currently in the process of carrying out this mod along with shortening the loom in the engine bay.

Mark
Old 28th October 2009, 04:51 PM

uhhhh...!!! for the past 3 and a bit hours ive been doing this. the wiring diagrams now makje sense, aprt fromt he fact its not identical to my loom. for example, the speaker wiring is completely different to what the diagrams say(unless ive been cutting off the wrong bits ) Im no where near done, but its slowly getting there.

How many wires should be going to the rear of the car once you are done?

also id you see a connector/relay that is not needed, do you just snip it off, then find where the leads on it go to and then cut them off from its source?
Old 28th October 2009, 05:23 PM

To answer your question about how much loom is left afterwards. About the same as you remove!!

From memory there is still about 14 wires going to the rear of the car.

As for relay id's look at pages 13.51 & 13.52.
For example:-

Item 17 Auto Trans Relay XII - ie relay 12. You will see a XII in the fusebox next to the corrisponding relay.

I did it the other way to you. I had a part I didn't need. Such as rear wiper. Followed wires back to switches / fuses / relay etc and cut off.

Speaker loom was a seperate loom in my car. Only cable tied to main loom. Just cut ties, didn't have to cut any of the speaker wires, removed the loom whole.

Mark
Old 28th October 2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
To answer your question about how much loom is left afterwards. About the same as you remove!!

From memory there is still about 14 wires going to the rear of the car.

As for relay id's look at pages 13.51 & 13.52.
For example:-

Item 17 Auto Trans Relay XII - ie relay 12. You will see a XII in the fusebox next to the corrisponding relay.

I did it the other way to you. I had a part I didn't need. Such as rear wiper. Followed wires back to switches / fuses / relay etc and cut off.

Speaker loom was a seperate loom in my car. Only cable tied to main loom. Just cut ties, didn't have to cut any of the speaker wires, removed the loom whole.

Mark
.... i should have realised the roman numerals would have meant somthing , ahh well, instead i looked at the bottom, found the relay that matched the wire colours according to the wiring diagram and then worked from there....

I fear that i have made a mistake though, because i think ive cut off some fog light bits... i guess ill have a better look another time as im knackered from it as its not very enjoyable