Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th April 2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidbolam View Post
Does it sound any louder in real life? I am hoping mine will frighten the odd granny at bus stops lol.
Yes the exhaust is a quiet burble on idle but sounds much throatier when giving it some. iPhone made it sound really tame and farty somehow!
Old 11th April 2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post
Spud made me the bottom wishbones and sold me all the steering gear before everyone realised it didn't work! I thought this was just a minor clearance issue not a new wishbone or major failure issue! Little bit annoyed that I was sold stuff that just doesn't work, it's not as though it was hard to figure out that it wouldn't work.
From what I've seen from the photos that Johno has taken of the problem, it is at a fair amount of lock (almost full) and at full droop.
Old 11th April 2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Spud made me the bottom wishbones and sold me all the steering gear before everyone realised it didn't work! I thought this was just a minor clearance issue not a new wishbone or major failure issue! Little bit annoyed that I was sold stuff that just doesn't work, it's not as though it was hard to figure out that it wouldn't work.

Put me on a bit of a downer but I think I'll just order some mx5 rod ends and speak to phil about extensions.

Exhaust looks low but it's not supported properly yet.

Thanks David, I've not done anything on my car for about 8 months but something made me get in the garage about 6 weeks ago and I've been at it ever since. Made some good progress but might take a bit of a breather now and just tackle some little jobs before stripping it down to finish off the chassis and paint it. Glad the progress has spurred you on with your build.
If you look at skov's build and mine we have both used limiters in the rack. The only issue with clearance is if you use lots of lock.

If you use limiters ( B&q) then it should be ok with mx5 ends.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.
Old 11th April 2013, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkChop View Post
From what I've seen from the photos that Johno has taken of the problem, it is at a fair amount of lock (almost full) and at full droop.
Ok thanks for that. I'm sure it will be fine, doesn't look like there's any simple solution to the front hub issue. But less steering lock seems a good compromise.
Old 11th April 2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Ok thanks for that. I'm sure it will be fine, doesn't look like there's any simple solution to the front hub issue. But less steering lock seems a good compromise.
It might be worth fitting the headlights and the front cycle wings and see if the rack needs limiting anyway for this reason. You may kill 2 birds with 1 stone, so to speak.
Old 11th April 2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkChop View Post
That's correct Dave,
At full lock with full droop on the suspension the rack extension just fouls the wishbone. I did consider skimming down the extension to get the clearance.
In the end I opted for a redesigned wishbone to get over the problem (had some tube spare).

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa472/JohnoSS1/

Johno
Old 22nd April 2013, 02:38 PM

So just to update, handbrake cable mounts, brake hose mounts front and rear, all seat belt mounts, lowered passenger floor, exhaust mount, battery located and cable terminals, headlight mounts and sump-guard mounts all done! Running out of things to weld on to the chassis!

I've used mx3 rear hoses on the front and standard mx5 rears on the rear. Bit of extra work but they were only £11 each and £16 for the right rear which includes a t-splitter. Bargain!

Old 22nd April 2013, 02:46 PM

Oh gearbox mount finally done at last!

Just a section of 100x50mm box shaped slightly to allow easy access to the nuts and bolts with holes drilled in the right place and studs welded in again for easy locating. the actual mount is from a mini a'la skov!

Darth Vader approves!

exhaust mount

Old 22nd April 2013, 03:15 PM

Someone's been busy
Looking good Chris. I'm liking the colour of your nose cone, is it staying that colour?
Old 22nd April 2013, 03:47 PM

It is a nice colour but wings, scuttle and aero thing are all black so it'll look a bit odd. Not sure what I'm going to do to be honest, in fact this morning I was thinking matt black with two white stripes! I can manage that myself with spray cans and some thick masking tape!

Ideally I want it to be a deep red with white stripes. How acheivable that is I don't know! Like this.....

Is yours going to be black John?

Last edited by CTWV50 : 21st August 2014 at 09:42 PM.