Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th July 2013, 03:52 PM

Bodywork now for sale....

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12782
Old 11th July 2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thailoz View Post
Unfortunately not any import car here however old it is goes for silly money eg I saw a mk 3 Cortina advertised for over £10,000 yes that is ten thousand .

so I have to just get on the search .
Is there any way to smuggle parts into the country as a government that greedy deserves to be ripped off
Old 12th July 2013, 05:03 AM

I wish I could smuggle stuff in but also shipping is expensive so I am just gonna have to use what I can find here
Old 15th July 2013, 09:54 AM

Bloody hell when will this bit be over, it's killing me! "just a few brackets to weld" my arse!! Even the welder had to have a 10 minute break to cool down yesterday. Neighbours must love me, sat in there gardens listening to me grinding on this baby for over an hour continuously with the garage door open. Sounded like some epic battle between me and some giant steel dragon.

I really don't know how any of us manage to put these chassis together and build these cars it's a herculean task of gargantuan proportions! We should all be supremely proud of ourselves!
Old 17th September 2013, 05:07 PM

Car's slowly coming back together. Whilst it's upside down I thought I'd get the brakes done and drill the rivet holes on the underside for the side panels.

Also managed to catch a cold at the weekend hanging around in a wet n windy garage.

I'm enjoying this part now that the welding, grinding and painting is over.

Old 17th September 2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post
Car's slowly coming back together. Whilst it's upside down I thought I'd get the brakes done and drill the rivet holes on the underside for the side panels.

Also managed to catch a cold at the weekend hanging around in a wet n windy garage.

I'm enjoying this part now that the welding, grinding and painting is over.

It is more fun doing these type of bits. I was worried about cutting the Grp but its much nicer to work with than I was expecting.

David

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.
Old 17th September 2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidbolam View Post
It is more fun doing these type of bits. I was worried about cutting the Grp but its much nicer to work with than I was expecting.

David
Same here, took me a week to get on with chopping up the side panels.
Old 23rd September 2013, 11:01 PM

This little bit of warm weather has spurred me on some what, car's now the right way up, pedals are in, diffs in, tanks on, pipes are nearly done for fuel and brakes. Wheels suspension and steering next. I'll get the back end finalised and then start on the front.

Decided to move the fuel filter down lower, wasn't happy with the original routing. The return pipe now comes up in the diff cage area where that pipe does a 180˚ turn. Sorry about the mess!

Pedal's still fit, just, after fully welding and painting the chassis. Top of the brake fluid reservoir clears the bonnet by a fingers width. Phew! I was going to paint the the flash rusted pedal supports but then I remembered, I couldn't be arsed!

Last edited by CTWV50 : 18th February 2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 30th September 2013, 12:10 AM

Haven't really done much this week, but today I got in the garage and took the diff back out and replaced the rubber mounts with poly mounts. I wasn't happy with the standard rubber and tired plate washer rubber thingies that go underneath. I could just see the nose being held still while the standard mounts jiggled about under load and between gears etc. Forgot to take any pictures but the old ones were a **** to remove, had to use every stone age brutality I could think of to get them out.
Old 30th September 2013, 04:51 AM

That chassis looks spot on, glad to hear that the mx5 pedal box is fitting good, that's what I am going to do now. I have been following your build thread with interest, just to see how the mx5 pedal box planned out.