Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17th April 2010, 10:05 PM

Smile My progress

The sun is shining & my workshop has at last been warm enough for me to be out there working on my build.

Over the last few weeks, I have managed to get some serious time in on my build.

Engine & box all given a good clean, light overhaul & a nice lick of paint .... Now put to one side, under cover all ready for the grand fitting party.

Completed & painted the new engine mounts .... Not as good as Ginge's but will do the job nicely.

Overhauled my ebay steering rack, fitted new gaitors & a nice lick of paint .... Sorely tempted to buy a new one but would have been a bit daft to replace a still good, serviceable rack.

Overhauled my push in driveshafts. Good clean up, repack the CV joints with grease, fitted new CV boots & a good lick of paint.
Reluctantly I gave in to temptation and decided to try some of those new fangled stretchy, stretchy boots.
I was half expecting them to be as useless as the glue together wonder boots.

For once I had a nice surprise, they are the Ronseal of CV boots & does what it says on the tin
Took next to no time to fit them .... Well pleased.
The 4 boots & the plastic fitting cone cost me £27.30 delivered
A fraction of the time & cost of fitting original Ford CV boot kits

I have fitted the Golf GTI radiator that I got from the breakers .... Big thanks to Gus for some inspiration at a time I had some brain freeze

Once I knew the Rad was fine I ordered a new one, this has arrived & is now fitted.
Had a quick trip to the breakers to find a suitable electric fan .... Found the ideal fan on a Citroen Xsara, only a very tiny mod to make on the fixing poits & now fits like a glove.

Result at the breakers .... Cooling fan & a pair of seat runners, £5 Bargain

My Two pack Epoxy arrived this morning so it will be all go on the wishbones & uprights next week.

Weighed in another load of scrap & collected another sheet of alloy ( Hopefuly the last ) Fook me, that has gone up some !!??
8" X 4" sheet of 1.2mm half hard £47.50

Keep looking at the things on my to do list .

Pedal box " Don't fancy doing that at the moment " ( It'll go tits up if not in the mood )

Side panels " Don't fancy doing them at the moment " ( It'll go tits up if not in the mood )

Diff, all cleaned up ages ago but still not painted !!??

So chaps, I have been having a real crack at the build & have enjoyed every moment .

In true me style .... The things done have taken ages to do but I am at least thankfull that I have the energy to do them.

Also in true me style .... I go to bed with the next day all worked out .... Once in the workshop, I do something completely different

Well that's it for now folks.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk