Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th February 2014, 03:53 PM

Default insurance

Hi guys...Its fast approaching the time that I want to get my roadster "on the road"......tomorrow I intend to start ringing around the various insurance companies to get a quote, now my question is how do they agree on a valuation, do you tell them how much you have spent,? how do you factor in labour, gas, electricity.
cheers
Old 16th February 2014, 04:09 PM

I would see how much you could buy a westfield already built for, and settle on that, a new one. Trouble is Kev, do you want to spend 3 or so years getting back to this point again ? I know which way I would go. Adrian Flux had a stand at Stonleigh last year, & their prices were really good, offering a further discount if you bought at the show ! I hope this is of use to you.
Old 16th February 2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason 82 View Post
I would see how much you could buy a westfield already built for, and settle on that, a new one. Trouble is Kev, do you want to spend 3 or so years getting back to this point again ? I know which way I would go. Adrian Flux had a stand at Stonleigh last year, & their prices were really good, offering a further discount if you bought at the show ! I hope this is of use to you.
Frank Pickles are the cheapest for me £120 a year with an S2000 engine.
Old 24th February 2014, 08:14 PM

finally decided on Aplan at £129 year 5000miles and 12k value which I thought was not bad at all
Old 19th March 2015, 10:03 AM

I've got Brentacre, Adrian Flux, Frank Pickles, APlan to ring. Any others anyone can think of?
Old 19th March 2015, 11:35 AM

Play them off against each other....I left A plan till last and they came up with the best quote...I also limited my mileage to 5k which in hindsight was overkill as I bearly did 1k in the time I had mine on the road last year, this year I reduced it to 3k and it only saved a tenner, NCB does not really count with kit car insurance, although it would if you were keeping a policy open for a regular tintop after a kitcar, which I thought was a bid odd.....good luck, it should come in around the 100-130ish mark for a full year....by the way cancelling it wont count for much half way through ie like November you would not get very much back but the cover would still be there if you let it run which is what I did.
Old 19th March 2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KEV View Post
Play them off against each other....I left A plan till last and they came up with the best quote...I also limited my mileage to 5k which in hindsight was overkill as I bearly did 1k in the time I had mine on the road last year, this year I reduced it to 3k and it only saved a tenner, NCB does not really count with kit car insurance, although it would if you were keeping a policy open for a regular tintop after a kitcar, which I thought was a bid odd.....good luck, it should come in around the 100-130ish mark for a full year....by the way cancelling it wont count for much half way through ie like November you would not get very much back but the cover would still be there if you let it run which is what I did.
OK Kev thanks for replying, I was struggling at £160 I think due to the fact I'm not a main driver on another vehicle. But I found a local company Blackford and Bloor which gave me a quote of £145 with 2k miles and £100 excess. Parts only insurance. Happy with that all paid for now.

Adrian Flux were £160 but they are really pushy and I don't like them. It was £185 if I didn't go with them today which is naughty, quotes should stand for 30 days. Aplan was £163 but very nice people.
Old 19th March 2015, 12:43 PM

Thats still not too bad considering it is a brand new policy from scratch and a good way to acrue bonus for the future should you want to be a main driver.
Old 19th March 2015, 04:38 PM

Mine was £195 from a plan and that was the cheapest last year but nice friendly people. I don't know why mine seems so high looking back.
Old 19th March 2015, 08:22 PM

I went with Adrian flux for 165 pa I think my mileage is limited to 5k. Just after I took out the cover I went through a speed camera trap and was sent a notice of intended fine. As I was going on holiday until the day before my iva test day and not knowing if I would get offered a speed awareness course I phoned the insurer. They put my insurance as having 3 points on my licence as the premium didn't change. When I went on the speed awareness course they refused to remove them unless as drive tech wrote to them saying I had been on a course.

Bit annoying as they have incorrect information on their systems and they keep sending me emails saying the insurer may cancel the policy.

Apart from that they are ok.

Hopefully I never need to use them!

David

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.