Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th May 2011, 09:53 PM

Default Exhaust, can anyone help ?

Hi everyone,

I'm at the point in my build where I need the exhaust manifold and system fabricated. My car has a zx9r engine fitted so there is not an off the shelf system that will fit.

My ideal solution would be that a fabricator could come to my place and do the work there. The reason being I will have to hire a trailer (nearest place 25 miles away, cost of £200) and then take the car to the nearest place. I realise that it is very unlikely to be someone in my area who would be able to do this or is there?

Another idea is that I could knock something up on CAD and maybe a fabricator could use this to create the system, I dont know if anybody does this?

So my question is where is the best place to take it/or any other ideas? I am located in Blackwood South Wales about 25 mins from Newport if anyone knows the area ?

Many Thanks

Dan
Old 18th May 2011, 10:53 PM

Cool

I would jump at this chance I you was closer! As I'm nearly 150/200 miles opposite side haha. I personally would just get stuck in , would be a great learning curve I can find all the formulas you would need if you like or even help you calculate them myself That's if you have a performance manifold in mind?

Michael
Old 18th May 2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael92 View Post
I would jump at this chance I you was closer! As I'm nearly 150/200 miles opposite side haha. I personally would just get stuck in , would be a great learning curve I can find all the formulas you would need if you like or even help you calculate them myself That's if you have a performance manifold in mind?

Michael
Yeh mte it's a pity you are so far away, doh
In regards to manufacturing it myself Im an electrician by trade and have little fabrication experience and dont want to make a mess of it (am i just being a scary cat ?). Also have been looking at the prices of manifold collectors and stuff (there is not a lot available} and couldnt beleive the prices it made my eyes water Do you happen to know where the parts that make up the system could be purchased at a reasonable price?

In terms of the formulas for calculating the lengths etc that would be great if I do have to go down the road of making it myself.

cheers Dan
Old 19th May 2011, 07:48 AM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/90-degree-Stai...item33663197d5

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/45-degree-Exha...item3366251abc

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/90-degree-Stai...item4aa3fa6683

There are a few things that you will/may need although they are in stainless, stainless is nice! but rather expensive and im guessing if you dont want to fabricate you certainly dont want to be welding £50 worth of a bend!

if you slap in on google exhaust components a few companies will pop up that will give you a rough guide . and even linco stock parts which i found out :P.

i will find you the company i use there on my emails somewhere ;-) got to trail through 100 or so emails haha !

they will usually do a good deal on a bulk buy kind of thing
and certainly much cheaper than other places

Michael
Old 19th May 2011, 08:10 AM

I've just looked at the standard steel manifold on ebay, I would say have a go at doing it on the cheap and buy a second hand one. Cut 3-4 inches out of the middle of the down pipes and turn the collector round the other way then weld a 80' bend on the end of it to point down the side of the car.
I know stainless looks good but stainless manifolds crack after awhile if not done properly.

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 19th May 2011, 08:50 AM

Buy a race pipe for the ZX9 motor then use the manifold as it is but extend the pipe after the headers to allow the silencer to run down the drivers side...all you will need is one bend and a bit of pipe....simples and I did the very same on my daft Lotus 11 thing a few years ago....
I'm in cornwall if you fancy dragging it this far? maybe even Plymouth?
Old 19th May 2011, 10:51 AM

as talon says, stainless looks nice but same gas speeds can be acchived with a well designed steel manifold with heat wrap , s'all about the gas flow baby id get stuck in!

as otheres have said also i too am getting the original manifold and cutting the flange of and making it up off that .
Old 19th May 2011, 09:56 PM

Thanks for all the advice lads its much appreciated im going to bite the bullet and have a go at making one myself. I've already sourced a bike manifold and im picking it up from a local breakers, so will be making a start tomorrow my mate has also got a manifold that looks like its off a kit car of unknown origin, maybe I can cobble them together. If the result is good, i'll post up some piccies, if its bad i'll keep them to myself lol.

Again many thanks for all the advice

Dan
Old 20th May 2011, 11:44 AM

Bit late but Formula 27 used to do an exhaust for their zx9r powered 7.It exited on the drivers side though.From memory the manifold was around 200quid and the silencer about the same without a cat.
Formula 27 now owned by YKC from what i recall.
Old 20th May 2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy1 View Post
Bit late but Formula 27 used to do an exhaust for their zx9r powered 7.It exited on the drivers side though.From memory the manifold was around 200quid and the silencer about the same without a cat.
Formula 27 now owned by YKC from what i recall.
Both long since gone, The F27 has been dormant for years.