Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th January 2010, 09:31 PM

Im a welder fabricator and use a 355mm cold saw to cut box angle and tube, these are expensive for most locost builders at about £2000 but you can sometimes pick one up of the bay for about £500 and the blades are about £50 each, resharpening is £10 from saw point, we also have a 12" band saw which is hardwork to set up for angles, id suggest getting a rage 2 355mm, http://www.evolutionpowertools.co.uk...ion_rage2.html we use one when doing site work and are very powerful, you can even get blades that can be resharpened.
Old 4th February 2010, 11:07 PM

Default Compound saw

Hi all,

This is mainly for Dusty;

I have a slightly older performance power compound mitre saw which would be perfect if Rage blades would fit, correct speed etc.

After a bit of research, if you do an international search on 'bay for metal blades, you will find some from the states that have a 30mm bore, 255mm diam & are rated to 6500rpm.

They are purchased from the yank equivalent of B&Q (Home Depot) & is also their Rage version. I'll be getting mine soon & will cost between £30-50.

I think if you take it slow it'll work fine.

Or you could fit a Rage 3 that is 215mm & connect it to an extention lead with a breaker, modified with a heavy duty dimmer light switch- that will let you slow the blade down- it only has to go to about 4500rpm. I spoke to a very friendly Rage guy who told me the 3500rpm speed rating they put on the blades is discourage people like us using them on our own machines!!

They are rated to 6000rpm for safety, so would be fine if you didn't go mad.

I'm still buying from the states though.

Hope thats given you food for thought?

Rhys