Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th June 2010, 03:32 PM

Default Fibreglass transmition tunnel cover...

Ok, well i wanted to have a go at some fibreglass in my build and i think this would be a good thing to have a go at, even if it proves to be useless and a waste of time. I saw similar in an mnr vortex and thought it would be a good idea, basically instead of fitting aluminuim panels to the transmission tunnel, i want to make a one piece transmission tunnel cover the will hopefully look abit sleeker.. Now im wondering how to make this for as low a cost as possible so anyone got any suggestions on where to get cheap fibreglass and resin/gelcoat , i have a fairly good idea on how to do everything, but im not keen on paying more than a few bob for the resin, so any thoughts on where to get some cheap.

Thanks
Old 12th June 2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
Ok, well i wanted to have a go at some fibreglass in my build and i think this would be a good thing to have a go at, even if it proves to be useless and a waste of time. I saw similar in an mnr vortex and thought it would be a good idea, basically instead of fitting aluminuim panels to the transmission tunnel, i want to make a one piece transmission tunnel cover the will hopefully look abit sleeker.. Now im wondering how to make this for as low a cost as possible so anyone got any suggestions on where to get cheap fibreglass and resin/gelcoat , i have a fairly good idea on how to do everything, but im not keen on paying more than a few bob for the resin, so any thoughts on where to get some cheap.

Thanks
Hello Geeman, you can try GRPMS, http://www.grpms.com/ they are bout the best prices the only thing is the minimum quantities are not small. Or there is CFS, http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/ that aren't too bad.

All the Best....AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 12th June 2010, 05:51 PM

or if you have a firm that manufactures things in grp local
see if they any for cash.
when we rebuilt our dinghy our local grp fabbers were
more than willing sell off end of rolls/barrels etc more a donation to the tea boat
cheers les g
Old 13th June 2010, 11:11 AM
fabbyglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post

Thanks
Make the shape in mdf first trying to make any joins etc on the outside faces rather than inside....this will then let you use the inside as the mould......simples oh and for small quantities I suggest CFS or as Les said try a local laminating shop.
Old 13th June 2010, 09:20 PM

If you phone your order into CFS, the chap you will speak to is a Seven owner!
Old 13th June 2010, 10:25 PM

ok, thanks guys, im a relative noob to fibreglassing so may have a few questions on the way, but ill give a few people a call tomorrow, and see if there are any local grp people who may have cheap roll ends and resin. Its a shame as i already bought alu sheet for all the panels, but really want to make it out of fibreglass or at least give it ago, well at least if my attempt goes balls up, ive got some alu sheet spare