Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th March 2011, 11:53 AM

Default Saturn Bonnet / DOHC / MT75 Fitting

Hi Folks, I have test fitted the new Saturn "big bulge" bonnet to my car with the DOHC I4 engine and MT75 box. It all fits with plenty of room, there is lots of clearance for the cam covers, distributor, breather, fuel regulator and my modified inlet plenum.

For those going the same path I have taken a few measurements. These measurements are with the track rods parallel with the floor, the sides are 130mm from the floor. The rails are 3mm higher than this, that being the approx thickness of the panels. My engine mounts are designed so that the sump has 90mm clearance from the ground, that is to say it comes 40mm below the level of the bottom of the bottom rails.

The engine and box are mounted so that the middle of the gear lever stub as it exits the box is 80mm back from the rear face of TT5. this seemed to be the easiest place to measure, the dimension assumes the transmission tunnel is built as per the dimensions for an MT75 box. This is quite a critical measurement as the leads coming out of the distributor are quite close to the bonnet bulge at the front.

It looks like a simple mod could be made to the original plenum to allow it to fit under the enlarged bulge. I can't prove this as I don't have an original inlet to cut about but having measured it up it looks like a small part of the upper part of the plenum could be cut off, an aluminium plate stuck on with chemical metal and then the bonnet would fit. I must stress that I have not tried this as I had already gone the route of making my own manifold before the bonnet was available.

Anyways, it fits very nicely on my car and looks great, I have to do some finishing work but will take a piccy as soon as my camera batteries are recharged.
Enoch.
Old 6th March 2011, 07:00 PM

Thanks for the update, keen as mustard to see it fitted, will be interesting to see if it fits my setup, engine and sump same as yours, 40mm below bottom rail.... but as you know I cut a section out of the inlet risers thus lowering the plenum height... should fit as I think it took the overall height of the inlet down by about 40mm?!?!?

Cheers
Rapid
Old 7th March 2011, 08:23 AM

Hi Rapid, that should be enough. The problem is the height and distance from the engine, reduce one or the other and it should fit just fine. I took some photos yesterday but they have come out huge so I need to take them to the office today and photoshop them.
Enoch