Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th April 2011, 12:58 AM

I must admit I have been toying with the idea of welding in a couple of bits of 25mm box section at either side within the bounds of the scuttle to allow the possible fitment of a screen with 19mm box section ends that happen to fit very neatly into 25mm section so I am thinking of welding the 25mm section in now so I can work on a windscreen in retrospect and just have a couple of grommets to hide the holes during nice weather.......should not be too difficult to fabricate with something like a nissan micra rear windscreen ( I would like some curvature as I think flat glass looks naff)

Last edited by K4KEV : 26th April 2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 26th April 2011, 08:29 AM

Im also going the full windscreen way and having looked at the local Locost scuttles (read flimsy) available, decided to do do things right and that again means to do it yourself.

First of all, the scuttle is laminated with a 3mm CoreMat sandwiched between the two 450g CSM laminates resulting in a strong/stiff lightweight scuttle about 5-6mm thick - mine weights 4.1kg. The scuttle is also solid to the engine side (top firewall laminated within scuttle).
Furthermore I fabricated a frame using two round tubes (25x2mm) across frame linked together that actually acts as a fwd roll bar should it goes turtle onto (over) which the scuttle fit and secured to. On the sides of the "roll bar" frames plate brackets will be fitted to which the window frame will secure to taking the load off the scuttle so to speak.
A nice solid, light and safe solution hopefully

Here are some pictures showing my setup - the scuttle plug from which the mold was taken is still in position but scuttle molding already made will fit the same.
The dashboard hides everything nicely
Last two pics of the scuttle molding itself - mold release agent still on it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lotus Molds 014a.JPG (58.4 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Lotus Molds 016a.JPG (61.2 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Lotus Molds 023a.JPG (69.1 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Lotus Molds 012a.JPG (55.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Lotus Molds 013a.JPG (58.7 KB, 94 views)

Wynand
http://5psi.net

Last edited by Wynand : 26th April 2011 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Added pics
Old 17th May 2011, 03:50 PM

looks great a lot of work, I have made one brace of 25x3 mm across the scuttle where the bottom of the triangle for holding the windscreen is going to locate!
Old 7th June 2011, 03:56 PM

Although not being done until all parts are finalised Mr Voodoo bloke is badgering me for windscreen option ideas as well as a quite few of his own. The new scuttle will bear this in mind but not integral to it.
Also deflectors and other tricky bits to help keep the windage out yet the top open....
Old 13th June 2011, 10:34 AM

I too am looking at screen options. I am a bit long in the tooth to be getting blasted by the elements on every jaunt. Like minicountryman and cornishmaid pointed out a screen will get used as a point of purchase. why not design a front rollbar type hoop that a screen can just fit into. if it was part of the rear hoops etc weather gear could be made to go round the whole lot. there would be somewhere to hang sidescreens/doors and weather gear could be tensioned against it. Scuttle strength would not be an issue. Just ideas.
Bob
Old 19th June 2011, 12:48 PM

im thinking a bracket could be made to fit between the top rail and the scuttle bent up the side of the car and windscreen or make a metal scuttle as in book
Old 19th June 2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz-r View Post
im thinking a bracket could be made to fit between the top rail and the scuttle bent up the side of the car and windscreen or make a metal scuttle as in book
Some cannyness during laminating can have a strong yet not too heavy scuttle that can carry a screen. Along with how the new Voodoo scuttle is shaped it adds strength so shouldn't require any extra steel supports.

Pics as soon as honest....