Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th December 2011, 03:34 PM

Default Saturn Side Panels

So I finally got my 10 piece set from Saturn and spent a bit of time trial fitting this afternoon. When it comes to the side panels I'm a bit perplexed after alot of head scratching :S

Two things I'm a bit confused with:

1) on the bottom (or perhaps top) of the side panel, one end has a much larger bottom triangle shaped area that comes out at 90 degrees. Does this section to towards the front of the car or the rear?

2) Do the side panels do away with side supports? (ss1 i think without the book handy to check for sure). They're a sort of arch/circle shape that goes from the top rails on the side of the car to the seat back. Problem is I cant see how you can fit the side panel as wont this section get in the way??

Here's a pic of the front end though with things roughly where they need to go, just need to move my bulkhead & scuttle forward about an inch to get a snug fit

Old 18th December 2011, 03:37 PM

not sure about side panel ,but the re your other issue.. is no you do not need the curved bit
Old 18th December 2011, 04:09 PM

The triangular bit is to the front. I made a cardboard template and offered that up before making any expensive mistakes.
As already said the curved sections are not required.......guess your going to be cutting them off
Old 18th December 2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylliezx9r View Post
The triangular bit is to the front. I made a cardboard template and offered that up before making any expensive mistakes.
As already said the curved sections are not required.......guess your going to be cutting them off
Those templates on ebay are a bargain at a fiver a pair

Bob.

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 18th December 2011, 05:55 PM

Cool the curved bits are coming off then Has anyone got any good closeup pics of them fitted?
Old 19th December 2011, 09:05 AM

Hi Brian,

I've posted a side panel cutting template previously for the front of the panels around the wishbone area:

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showt...ght=side+panel

Should help a bit.....>AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 19th December 2011, 09:53 AM

Ah brilliant that's a really good post. Missed that one while searching. So the only bit I'm still a bit confused on is with the larger triangle section on the side panel that comes out at a right angle. So this should be at the front of the car not the back, but does the larger triangle section go on the top or the bottom at the front?
Old 19th December 2011, 10:03 AM

The triangular part goes underneath. You can then use the fixings of your voice to attach it to the chassis. I used self tappers underneath and countersunk m6 Allen head bolts on top with rivnuts. The cutting template that has been posted is good but is only a guide and not completely accurate, as said before do it in card and offer it up. Hope this helps.
Old 19th December 2011, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylliezx9r View Post
The triangular part goes underneath. You can then use the fixings of your voice to attach it to the chassis. I used self tappers underneath and countersunk m6 Allen head bolts on top with rivnuts. The cutting template that has been posted is good but is only a guide and not completely accurate, as said before do it in card and offer it up. Hope this helps.
Yep, the cutting guide will need a bit of easing on mine to clear the bolts. But it's fine for first fit.

I had the crescent sections and tried them with the GRP rear tub and they would not fit. So they were cut/bashed off.

If your floor is quit thick then the lower lip may need removing on the side panels.

Having panels on transforms the car

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 20th December 2011, 08:29 AM

Yup I can see me taking the cresent section off as I can imagine they're a total nightmare to fit the tub over. Can't wait to get more of it on over the holidays, just having the nosecone on makes it look amazing