Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th March 2010, 03:11 PM

Default zx9r fitment help.

fitting a zx9r to my roadster. how far does the bonnet come above the top chassis bar?( so i no where to position me engine) and do i keep the std engine mount plates, and use them with the free lander mounts.

any help opriciated.
Old 7th March 2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidimurray View Post
cheers for that. can anyone explain the best way to mount the engine, and do you use the original mount plates? and does the bottom of the sump have to sit level with the bottom chassis rail, or can it stik down a little bit?

any help tips etc will be gr8
Old 7th March 2010, 09:17 PM
fabbyglass

I wouldn't have the motor hanging out the bottom If I was you as won't take much to destroy your motor.
Use as many of the mounts as you can especially the rear ones but make them rather than use the stuff from the bike. Folk like Mac1 motorsports make cradles for the zx9 motor but would need modding to fit the wider Roadster chassis.
Old 8th March 2010, 01:05 AM

Look at page 6 in this file under the heading Bike Engine Position ,about 3/4 way down.
Old 8th March 2010, 12:57 PM

Hi, I found that with my zx9r engine I have ended up with a bit of sump sticking down about 50mm. This is the bit that need lopping off and re welding, has the drain plug in it. A guy on the locost forum used to do this for pretty cheap and did several zx9r sumps, however he doesn't do it any more . I had to offset the output flange slightly in relation to the the diff. I found it was one of the lower chassis rails that caused the biggest issue, I basically had to have the flat part of the sump over the rail in order to get engine over far enough to get the prop straighter. From what I heard Tillys shaft has quite a bend on it, with his blackbird engine. I think I'm still going to have a bit of carb and air filter sticking out of the bonnet. I made my cradle to hold the engine similar to the ones MK supply. Mine is not bushed but I've heard vibration isn't too bad and alot of cradles hard mount the engine to the chassis. I could put rubber dougnuts under the mounts if I wished and raise the engine slightly like slims car but I'm hoping vibration won't be an issue. If you have any questions I'll try and help but I'm still learning myself. Might have a crack a gear linkage later.
Chris
Old 8th March 2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriseyj View Post
Hi, I found that with my zx9r engine I have ended up with a bit of sump sticking down about 50mm. This is the bit that need lopping off and re welding, has the drain plug in it. A guy on the locost forum used to do this for pretty cheap and did several zx9r sumps, however he doesn't do it any more . I had to offset the output flange slightly in relation to the the diff. I found it was one of the lower chassis rails that caused the biggest issue, I basically had to have the flat part of the sump over the rail in order to get engine over far enough to get the prop straighter. From what I heard Tillys shaft has quite a bend on it, with his blackbird engine. I think I'm still going to have a bit of carb and air filter sticking out of the bonnet. I made my cradle to hold the engine similar to the ones MK supply. Mine is not bushed but I've heard vibration isn't too bad and alot of cradles hard mount the engine to the chassis. I could put rubber dougnuts under the mounts if I wished and raise the engine slightly like slims car but I'm hoping vibration won't be an issue. If you have any questions I'll try and help but I'm still learning myself. Might have a crack a gear linkage later.
Chris
cheers mate thats very helpful. i bought my zx9r engine complete off a guy who was going to stik it in his car but he changed his mind. took the sump off just and noticed there isn't a oil pick up snorkel at all . my question is do you no where i can get a shortened oil pick up snorkel from?? as ready to chop me sump.
Old 8th March 2010, 01:51 PM

Don't quote me but I'm sure the snorkel is plastic and I think you can trim it down with a hacksaw. I think it clips on. Are you welding the sump yourself? if so do you fancy doing another I'd obviously pay you, I don't have any ali welding gear.
Chris
Old 8th March 2010, 02:00 PM

This guys build diary is pretty good,b http://www.roebuck.eclipse.co.uk/ he used a zx9r and a chassis from sturt taylor, think they call these lokosaki's.
There are some sump pics somewhere.
Chris
Old 8th March 2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriseyj View Post
Don't quote me but I'm sure the snorkel is plastic and I think you can trim it down with a hacksaw. I think it clips on. Are you welding the sump yourself? if so do you fancy doing another I'd obviously pay you, I don't have any ali welding gear.
Chris
im not going to be welding it but my uncle works in a sheet metal place and there is a tig ali welder there. so il see how mine goes in the next week, and if all is good il let you know and get yours done?