Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd February 2014, 11:15 PM

Default V5 question

Hi guys had a bit of a thought and not sure on what I need to do!!!
My doner has been stripped and ready for scrap but before I do that do I need to remove the chassis plate? (Will this be the chassis number for the haynes?) also take the number plates off! With the v5 when you scrap anything they normally take that from you and you send the bit away to dvla to say you have scrapped the car, but surly I don't want to do this as I need it for the haynes? It's easy to build the car sorting dvla is another matter!!!!!!

Build pictures
http://s830.photobucket.com/user/brownster79/library/
Old 22nd February 2014, 11:44 PM

I scrapped the old bodyshell and still have the car sorned with DVLA.Still have the chassis no. I cut out and engine in the roadster. I am hoping they will give me the number plate when I reg the car next month.(probably not but worth a try)
Old 23rd February 2014, 09:18 AM

I kept the number plates, chassis plate, and cut the VIN number out of the chassis.
When I registered my car the DVLA took the details of the donor and removed it from their records.
Just remember to keep SORNing the donor until you're done, and make sure the DVLA do actually remove it. I had to remind them..

You can't re-use the chassis number from the donor (that's called ringing!) - you'll need to contact the DVLA to get a new chassis number to use.
Not sure how this works now the local offices are all closed though.
Old 25th February 2014, 10:34 AM

Cut out the chassis number and VIN plate and remove numberplates, basically anything that can ID the vehicle. That will stop the scrap man 'scrapping' the vehicle. Keep it SORN and then when you register if you go age related (Kit conversion they call it) then you will need to send the donor V5 in to the DVLA.
Old 25th February 2014, 08:14 PM

Thumbs up

The new procedure for obtaining a chassis number is as follows : right a short letter explaining that you are building an amateur built kit car, and ask them to issue you with a chassis number for a Haynes Roadster kit car. This is the latest procedure, I put a post up about this a few weeks ago but can't find the post sorry, so write to

DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1ZZ

Or ring 01792 782069. This number puts you straight through to a real person !!!!!! Ask for Donna Kennet, and she is the kit car lady, & will answer all questions no problem. I hope this helps !
Old 25th February 2014, 11:24 PM

Smile

Thanks for all the replys guys I have spoke to dvla today for nearly an hour glad it weren't my phone bill would of been less to spend on the car! They informed me I need to let them know it's been scrapped and hand in the v5 at a later date when I'm ready they can retrieve it and give it back for the roadster! I'm not convinced as we all know stuff goes missing at the dvla office so I'm going to do what has been suggested by u guys and keep it with the plates and chassis number then send it off when I'm ready, she said about the covering letter with a v62 form and a cheque of £25 for them to issue a chassis number to me although they may come and inspect (as if there going to do that) regards to the sorn apparently from now you just do it the once then that's on there for indefinatley until u tell them otherwise! The building of the hand build sports car is much easier then the paperwork and that's before I get to iva!!!

Build pictures
Old 26th February 2014, 12:31 AM

Try my number above. My chassis number was free only a few weeks ago. Sounds like crossed wires & they are trying to Bill you £25 for the log book, hence v62. The details I put in my previous post today are specifically for the kit car build, I have spoken to dvla about this registration lark on numerous occasions, & got a different answer every time. The lady in my earlier post is a gem, hence the direct dial number, none of this press 4, then 3 crap. Your new vin will begin dvlaswa.................... Give her a call tomorrow, I promise you that it will clarify the hole situation.
Old 26th February 2014, 11:08 AM

Don't what ever you do, say you have/scrap the car and fill in V5 as scrapped.
As previously posted remove vin and vin plate number plates and sorn it.

Cut the shell up and "recycle it" as scrap metal not a vehicle.

DVLA will send you a letter stating a VIN number and another form to fill in when you IVA your car when you apply for the vin and that is all you have to do at this stage.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 26th February 2014, 01:18 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason 82 View Post
Try my number above. My chassis number was free only a few weeks ago. Sounds like crossed wires & they are trying to Bill you £25 for the log book, hence v62. The details I put in my previous post today are specifically for the kit car build, I have spoken to dvla about this registration lark on numerous occasions, & got a different answer every time. The lady in my earlier post is a gem, hence the direct dial number, none of this press 4, then 3 crap. Your new vin will begin dvlaswa.................... Give her a call tomorrow, I promise you that it will clarify the hole situation.

Thanks Jason!
Your right what a little star I told her she was famous and she is known as the kit car lady! i just need to send a covering letter with no fee for my chassis number and I must keep the v5 for the doner vehicle as that is my proof!! easy as that took 5 mins on the phone

Build pictures
Old 26th February 2014, 01:29 PM

No problem. Glad to help !!!!!