Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th July 2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmax1974 View Post
Its been a while since I made an update here since

loads has happened since I last posted got married had honeymoon just not much to my chassis however I have not been sat lazy I have been stripping the donor and got my bush kit and engine mounts coming in a week or so found great source for the bush kit from a new forum member that makes them for a living the kit I got is for my mx5 build so has the mx5 rear upper outer bush included and he is making them in ral6018 green to boot and the price was very reasonable he will be offering them for the sierra build too as he is building a sierra based roadster cant say any more about that other than watch this space he will be along when he gets a few other things sorted

Was also pleased yesterday to find handyandy has started to do chassis plate kits so have made contact with him with what I want and will then get on and get my chassis rolling

Work gets quieter week after next so I will have more time as I wont be doing the 80 hour weeks that I have been doing lately

Thats all for now folks

Dave
You must keep Mrs Vmax in the style to which she is accustomed
Old 26th July 2012, 02:28 PM

Today I braved the rain we got here and went out and removed the last of the parts off the donor

Next thing I knew the local scrap lads turned up and manhandled the shell onto there van

So all the parts have been stripped and I am a happy man mrs vmax will be very happy too cause it means we get the patio back

So its now time to collect all my tools up and get on and get my chassis rolling
Old 5th August 2012, 07:58 PM

have just seen my engine mounts and bushes for the first time and gotta say i am very pleased with them

ABCD0002.JPG

what do you all think
Old 6th August 2012, 01:56 PM

Looking nice, where did you get them from?
Old 6th August 2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_of_Seven View Post
Looking nice, where did you get them from?
I got them from a forum member who has not yet posted yet he will be along soon Though

The engine mounts are normally 20 quid each but if is doing them for 15 each to forum members dont know prices on the wishbone bushes yet cause He is still working on them but they promise to be the best price so far
Old 18th August 2012, 10:16 AM

For those of you that are interested the very nice chap I got my polybushes off is now selling them on ebay item number 261083371883

They are really good quality for the price full set is less than 50 quid so about half the price others are doing them for have a look and get yours the guy is a forum member and is a builder himself
Old 18th August 2012, 10:29 AM

thats just typical, i just bought a full set last week.
Old 18th August 2012, 06:28 PM

Ok an update on my build donor is now totally stripped and disposed of and have moved onto cleaning up and painting parts so I started by giving electrolosis a go on the brake carriers could not believe how easy it is dunk power leave and you end up with clean metal ready for painting sorry guys I keep forgetting to take photos of my build as it progresses must try harder

Next I will tackle getting as much of the chassis ready to take the chassis plates and brackets and start cutting the rest of the steelwork

Gotta remember to pop to teesside fasteners to get some nuts and bolts at some point too

Thats it for now fellas hopefully more on monday when I get a little workshop time
Old 18th August 2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmax1974 View Post
Ok an update on my build donor is now totally stripped and disposed of and have moved onto cleaning up and painting parts so I started by giving electrolosis a go on the brake carriers could not believe how easy it is dunk power leave and you end up with clean metal ready for painting sorry guys I keep forgetting to take photos of my build as it time
HTF does that work?

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 18th August 2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo View Post
HTF does that work?

Bob
I just used some washing powder(about a mug full) and vinegar(about quarter of a bottle) mixed together and added to a plastic bucket full of water suspended my part in the said bucket. Clamped some scrap steel to the side of the bucket not touching the part. Get your finest car battery (not off the car you want to take your wife shopping in whilst waiting for the part) I charged the battery at the same time. Connect the positive to the scrap steel negative to the part turn on the power and walk away for a few hours come home lift out remembering that the water in the bucket is live and getting acidic wire brush wipe off and paint simples