Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th August 2012, 07:45 PM

Default That was a good bargain

Hello,
I was not supposed to buy a donor, and I wanted to buy the parts one by one. I actually already bought some. But it is a very costy option. So I checked Sierra for sales on Internet, just by curiosity... and...
Yesterday, I bought a complete Sierra 2.0i DOHC + an extra 2.0i SOHC engine + an extra T9 gear box for... 250 euros (about £200) Car has been delivered at home with the extra engine and extra gear box in the trunk. I couldn't let this opportunity go!

Sierra_1_1_1.jpg

DOHC engine has a broken sump (the seller assured me it was working, no way to check anyway), and SOHC engine hasn't been running for 3 years, so I guess I'll have a lot of work to do on the engines
But I'm not in a hurry. The important thing for me is to put the Roadster on wheels ASAP, so I will start by stripping the Sierra off to be able to achieve that before the winter.
I wanted to use the SOHC engine, as after a chat on the forum last year, it looked like the DOHC, because of the EFI, will be too high to fit under the bonnet, even with a scoop like "new" Saturn's bonnets (Spud told me that last year). But when I see both engines, it looks to me like the EFI of the SOHC is even higher over the hear cover than on the DOHC, wich is on the side, and not too much above the head cover level. What do you guys think? On which engine should I work?
Thank you.
Old 8th August 2012, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Bargain!!

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 8th August 2012, 09:56 PM

Nice buy ! You will almost make your money back by weighing in the shell.
Old 8th August 2012, 10:21 PM

Can you imagine that old dagenham dustbin getting put in the melting pot with that fine swedish steel

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 8th August 2012, 10:44 PM

Do you think left hand drives were also made in Dagenham? I remember Top Gear mentioned the souped up variant they tested in a challege was built in Belgium.

voucht, congrats! Remember: undo rear hub nuts while on the ground, and cut out the front crossmember to pull the engine.
Old 9th August 2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo View Post
Can you imagine that old dagenham dustbin getting put in the melting pot with that fine swedish steel

Bob
It all ends up in China anyway LOL
Old 9th August 2012, 11:21 AM

Nice find Sylvain....I had kept an eye out for you but the ones I saw on swedish ebay were all daft money.....thats as good a deal as you would find over here in blighty......now you have no excuses GET BUILDING
Old 9th August 2012, 05:58 PM

Good work,

The equinox body kit has a higher scuttle and bonnet line than the saturn one by about 25cm, so it may fit over that.

Thanks for sorting out my brakelines to!

Mike
Old 10th August 2012, 01:12 PM

Wow, bargain and a half!!

As much as I paid for a single car.

I'm going down the DOHC route (purely because I didn't get given a spare engine and g'box) and I know they're meant to be limited for tuning options.

'old' Saturn did have an extra latge bonnet scoop available at one time designed to fit the DOHC lump underneath, not sure if hes still making them? Or there are various people I've seen cut down the efi or even make their own manifold!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oscarss/sets/
Old 11th August 2012, 11:02 AM

Thank you for the comments guys.
@ Willy, Bob and Al: I'm afraid I will have to pay to get rid of the shell. It might be a punishment for making them melt non-Swedish steel
@ Kev: workers are coming next week to open our garden-shelter and install a large garage door there, so I will soon have a place to put the Sierra first to strip it off, and the to move the roadster's chassis and all my stuffs in a suitable space (remember that for now, I'm working in the old classroom where there is just a normal door, just large enough for letting the chassis out on its side, not more!). So I will soon be going forward!
@ Mike: Wow, 25cm sounds a lot! So, do you think I can fit the big ugly EFI from either engines under an Equinox bonnet?
@ Oscar: yes, I also saw people making their own manifold, but if I can avoid this part of the work, I would be more than happy. Problem with Saturn's parts is where to get them, as they no longer exist? Did anybody take over the moulds ? When I'm installed in the "new" garage, I'll check both engines and chose the one I'll put in the Roadster. If you have any other information about fitting a DOHC, I'm still interested, same on my side, I'll keep you posted about that.