Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th April 2017, 09:59 PM

Norton

That's sad news mate you was cracking on with your build. it will be a great bargain for someone

Gary
Old 14th April 2017, 10:55 PM

Cheers bud, I'm not massively bothered but the time it needs is no longer available so the responsible thing to do is move it on.
Old 15th April 2017, 01:22 PM

More on the cars spec,

The engine is from a mk2 and is a 1.6 and the gearbox came from the matching car. I have removed the sump, rocker, inlet and a few other bits and pieces to have them soda blasted. The rest as been degreased and refinished as necc. All new seals throughout. Coil on plug conversion using Toyota coils. The lower coolant outlet has been reversed to allow more space for a turbo later on. The engine was very low miles and was free of any ailments at all. IT sounded very smooth.

The rear diff was also blasted with the diff carrier powder coated black. New bearings and seals fitted and an ATB type LSD (new).

The brakes were from the same car and were also soda blasted and stove enameled a dark gold colour. New pistons, seals, internals etc fitted, they're as new. New hand brake cables are in there also. All discs are new with EBC pads.

The prop has been shortened and balanced as well. I had a new tank made by JAF fabrications whole you'll find on ebay. This takes the MX5 sender/pump which is fitted and waiting for fuel. Fuel lines have been run also.

The hubs and uprights were blasted/cleaned via electrolysis and painted, new wheel bearings fitted front and rear.

The exhaust was made myself using 3" 304 stainless. There's a 200cell cat included into the system too.

The wheels are the very light 13" team dynamics wheels. The front tyres are legal and balanced but the rears are not so are just on there for build purposes.

Front suspension arms are powdered coated, the rears are painted by me.

I have 5.75 headlights, new and boxed in black from SVC. These are the same as Caterham items. I also have rear led lights, rear fog and revers lights and number plate lights. There is also led front and side repeaters there too. All new and boxed. The seatbelts are fitted too, I forget the name but are a commonly used item and brand new. Everything else you can see from its pics. The brakes are bleed and work as is the clutch.

Steering is done just needing alignment once on its wheels. There is the shortest ratio quick rack I could find in there which is new and as the correct adaptors/extensions on there. All suspension joints are new as well.

There's probably more which I'll type up as I remember.
Old 19th April 2017, 10:06 PM

I'm having second thoughts. Somebody please tell me its ok to leave it in the garage for 12/18 months without doing anything to it
Old 19th April 2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
I'm having second thoughts. Somebody please tell me its ok to leave it in the garage for 12/18 months without doing anything to it
Are you going to regret selling it? I left mine for at least 9 months without touching it when we moved into our house.
TBH I'm surprised you've found the time with your little one growing up, I know how they sap all you spare time!
Old 19th April 2017, 10:27 PM

Of course its ok to leave it its a cracking build and it will be waiting paitiently for you on the other end
If you dont need the money leave it where it is.
Old 19th April 2017, 11:11 PM

I did a lot of if whilst she was brewing then had a break during the early months. She spent 6 months in hospital as she had some cardiac and other deformities that needed some serious operations. This car was my distraction as a way of coping. The amount I built and effort exerted was equal to the stress we were going through.

My reasons for putting it on hold are due to the lack of child car. The only person we felt comfortable with looking after her (as there is still risk she could become unwell or, due to her corrections choke very easily) whilst my wife and I worked was my mum but she had to do 2 hours of travelling to come to us and it became too much so my wife switched jobs. We're both nurses and work long days, 7am to 9pm and work alternate days to cover being at home. Now I have zero time available for the car unless I use some of my annual leave to carry out the occasional job on it. I hate the idea of it sat there for extended periods and not moving forward hence the sale.
Old 20th April 2017, 06:33 AM

God thats tough going its not nice when they are not well i recently found out my little one has type 1 diabetes i know its not on the same scale but god its hard to see and deal with.
As regards to the car there are plenty of stories on here of people who have left there car for 5 years even longer.
But at the end of the day its up to you and if i wasnt in ireland i would of bought it by now.
Old 20th April 2017, 08:34 AM

My vote would be to keep it. My latest is my fourth car and the third had to go about 40 years ago for similar reasons to yours. I always regretted it and promised myself 'one day....'. For me that day has taken over 40 years to come around - if you have to leave it a year and can maybe go and visit it for 10 minutes or so occasionally that will be fine. It's an excellent looking build and if I hadn't already got a car built (and am preparing for a Midlana build as well) I would have snapped your car up in an instant.

let it sit a while - things will change sometime in the future
Old 20th April 2017, 01:13 PM

I know your pain Steve, I hope the little one receives the care and support you need to help manage their diagnosis.

I think it needs to stay. It's tearing me up thinking about someone taking it away and seeing an empty space after. It's helped me through some horribly painful times and it's clear to me now I'm very attached to it. It's a keeper, it's going nowhere.

Last edited by norton : 20th April 2017 at 04:08 PM.