Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st December 2013, 02:19 PM

It will probably flap against your fins at high speed
Old 1st December 2013, 02:33 PM

I can attach mounting points (they are detachable) like below and mount to radiator core....

Can't see this on photo but they fit...

ZX9R BEC Haynes Roadster - build cost so far: £1125
My build thread

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." J.W.Goethe
Old 1st December 2013, 03:58 PM

Lucas,
Your fan should be a 12'' blade, mine is a 12'' overall (305mm diam). But I think yours if fine for the side of the radiator you want to fit it on.
I fitted mine on the other side because I had to turned the radiator around to have the lower water inlet on the left side, and the high one on the right side : it is much better for my engine set up. But that way, I needed to fit the fan on the radiator's side where the core's side plates are offset and not flush. So I had to chose smaller diameter to fit the fan in between those two offset side plates.
If you fit your fan on the side where the side plates and brackets are flush with the core, the diameter you chose is good : it covers a bigger surface than mine.

To fit your fan, remember one very important thing : the fan has to be flush with the core face, it has to be perfectly against the core, to touch it. Otherwise most of the airflow it will suck will not come from trough the radiator, but from the sides.
Also, as already mention on this forum, a puller fan is more efficient than a blower fan and should always be preferred. Blower fan should be installed only if there not enough room to fit a puller between the radiator and the engine.

I didn't want to fit mine trough the core with the lock ties either, but it looks to be a very popular way of fitting fans, used a lot on racing cars. I had no other choice, so I did it this way, and finally, I'm fine with it. Just be very careful when you enlarge the holes in the fins not to damage the tubes.

Good luck
Old 1st December 2013, 04:35 PM

OK - fan housing modified... it's touching radiator core when in place just like you said Voucht. It will be "puller", but I need to decide how radiator would be mounted (according to engine needs)

I'll fix it trough the core with 4 mounting points. If it's ok for racing use it'll be good for my roadster

ZX9R BEC Haynes Roadster - build cost so far: £1125
My build thread

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." J.W.Goethe
Old 1st December 2013, 04:46 PM

Looks very nice Lucas!
Here are the fitting instructions from Davies Craig (the brand of the fan I have).

http://www.daviescraig.com.au/Images...8-08-06%29.pdf

On page 2 are the recommendations for fitting through the core and I found them very useful when I fitted mine.

Perhaps you will too
Old 1st December 2013, 06:39 PM

I mounted through the core too with zip ties but I felt unhappy about it actually touching the core, as after all aluminium is a really soft metal so I played safe and put double sided foam tape around the rim where it would touch just a thought mind you.
Old 1st December 2013, 07:32 PM

Yep Kev, you're right. Actually some fan manufacturers (like PACET, unfortunately they no longer exist which is a shame as they were making the best performing fans) supply their fans with the double sided foam tape, pre-cut to the fan's shape.
Old 11th December 2013, 09:06 PM

I have a front mounted pushing fan with no issues at all even on the dyno or thrashing on a hot day.

the way I see it you get a restriction of airflow with it infront or behind the rad

some fans have directional blade patterns and push more air in one direction than the other even if the motor is bidirectional
Old 11th December 2013, 11:02 PM

It is best to not go through the fins for an attachment.
I made mine with a few simple straps that secures it to the radiator itself.
Quite easy and has worked out well.

Al
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07475 (Small).JPG (71.9 KB, 32 views)
www.lotussuper7replica.com/
Old 12th December 2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz-r View Post
the way I see it you get a restriction of airflow with it infront or behind the rad
Hi Baz,
David wrote a long post about that on this thread, so did I Most of the answer I would have published here is over there.
http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showt...t=6165&page=10

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz-r View Post
some fans have directional blade patterns and push more air in one direction than the other even if the motor is bidirectional
And a complement in answer to what you say : Blower fans with special designed bladed which make them more efficient than the puller equivalent, have just been designed to increase the efficiency of a blower fan because some applications do not have enough room between the engine and the radiator to install a puller. So it is totally normal that these kind of design exists, but it doesn't make a blower set-up more efficient or generally preferable to a puller set-up, for the reason exposed here and the other thread.