Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st December 2010, 09:03 AM

Hi Enoch

Did you ever get anywhere with this?

Matt
Old 31st December 2010, 01:14 PM

Matthew, I can't answer for him, but try checking his build diary out.

Enoch Build Diary
Old 31st December 2010, 06:03 PM

Hi Matt, I tried numerous solutions, which all failed for one reason or another. In the end I cut up the standard manifold and used some 3 x 4 inch aluminum box section and a couple of bits of plate to make my own manifold. It is "glued" together with chemical metal. The throttle body has been located at the back so I don't get problems with clearing the thermostat housing. I cut all the threaded bosses off the original manifold and then glued them to my new manifold with more chemical metal. It looks a bit crappy but works perfectly, I guess you could add some bits of square alli to make it look a bit more factory made but I don't mind too much what my engine looks like as long as it goes well. The Galaxy manifold was no good, I never found a scorpio one so can't comment if that would have worked or not. For full details of my solution please check out my web site. If you want to chat about it or coma and have a look drop me a pm.
Dave.
Old 1st January 2011, 08:16 AM

Thanks Enoch.

I took a look at your site and I can see what you've done with the manifold - not sure what I'm going to do with mine yet. I fancy throttle bodies but have no idea how I'd attach them.

I also found this picture of a Scorpio with the 8v engine - http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuart166axe/3130836319/ which looks very similar to the Sierra manifold so I don't think it is going to be any better.

Matt
Old 1st January 2011, 12:24 PM

I recently modified my I4 inlet manifiold. I am using Fireblade throttle bodies (929R) which have fixed centres. Hence I had to dogleg the two outer ports. Not ideal but should be ok.. I machined up the original casting, turned up the stubs from ali tube and made an MDF jig to hold everything in line and then got a local guy to TIG weld it. I'm using megasquirt. I've attempted to attched photos, hope they will upload ok.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1dec2010 104.JPG (43.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 1dec2010 105.JPG (43.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 1dec2010 244.JPG (53.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00501.JPG (63.0 KB, 48 views)
Old 1st January 2011, 07:19 PM

That's a nice solution to the problem, with DOHC coming into the build scene more and more it maybe worth getting a bunch of these made

Rapid
Old 2nd January 2011, 08:50 AM

Very neat.

I've a couple of questions:

1/ What did you do about the strengthening tube that rins across the top of the engine bay? I can't see it in the last picture, but that may be just down to the angle.

2/ How did you match up the round tubes to the square ports on the manifold?

Matt
Old 2nd January 2011, 11:56 AM

Rapid - in practice each manifold would be bespoke to suit the throttle bodies used.

Matt - The inlet casting port cross section is nominally 35mm square with a wall thickness of 6mm. The stubs are 50mm outside diameter and 40mm inside diameter to match the throttle bodies. After welding I used a carbide burr to blend the round/square bores followed by a good polishing. There was enough material to get a reasonable blend without breaking out.
the throttle bodies comfortly clear the chassis brace. I have set the engine height to ensure a reasonable ground clearance. This means that I will have to cut the bonnet to allow the cam cover to protrude. I have added a photo showingthe chassis brace /manifold clearance.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00505.JPG (62.0 KB, 28 views)