Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th September 2019, 02:44 PM

Default Saturn MX5 - Rear Suspension Camber?

I am in the early stages of building my MX5 based car. I am following the Saturn plans and available online amendments etc. I am using a MK2 donor.

Having built my chassis and wishbones and starting to fit things up I am experiencing a lot of negative camber at the rear. I fabricated using the threaded adjusters on my lower wishbones, but even with these screwed almost fully in (so much that I cannot fit a lock nut) I still have too much negative camber. I haven't measured it, but visually it looks too much.

Is this a known problem? I've searched the various forums but not come up with anything conclusive. I'm at the stage where I am contemplating spacing out my top wishbone mounts by around 5-10mm to bring it back to a more neutral position, but then I'm worried about upsetting other aspects of the suspension and drive system.

I've checked and double checked what I have built against the Saturn plans and everything seems to be about right dimensionally.

If anyone has the correct dimensions for the rear wishbones and the chassis pick-up points I'd really appreciate it, maybe I have old or out of date information?

I am just lost as to where the problem is, any help much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 4th October 2019, 10:25 AM

Hi, just to follow up on this a little (and hopefully provoke some replies).

I have double checked all measurements again against the various available sources and everything seems to be correct (or at least within a small tolerance). However, with the adjusters screwed almost fully in I have around 5 degrees negative camber on one side and 6 degrees on the other side. Surely this cannot be correct?

I am at the stage of removing the top wishbone brackets and spacing them off the chassis by around 12-15mm, that will bring the camber back to neutral and allow me a little range on my adjusters.

Unless I have gone badly wrong somewhere then this problem must have come up before?

Any help much appreciated, thanks.
Old 5th October 2019, 11:37 PM

Evening Andrew

Not sure if they are the same but I am building a Talon chassis the back is modified for custom diff carrier but I think the wishbones are the same dimensions. my pick ups for the top wish bones are on the outer edge of the cradle I haven't measured the camber yet but it looks ok.

Gary