Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th January 2009, 12:28 PM

Question VIN number again !!??

Hi all,

I know the suject has already been toched on elsewhere in this section but i am still a little confused by the whole VIN issue

As i see it you create you own 17 digit VIN number, stamp number the chassis & also on a VIN plate attached to the car.

My particular areas of confusion are. Letter/number size ( 5mm or larger ? ), where exactly to stamp the number on the chassis ?.

I assume the VIN plate would be positioned in the engine bay bulkhead area ?

Am I correct in my belief that all letters should be upper case & that some letters are not to be used ?.( O & I for example. )

I am at the stage where it would be a good idea to stamp the number on the cassis but am unsure as to which rail to place it.

Perhaps some of the members who have a SVA pass or have submitted their paperwork could provide some input.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk

Last edited by Bonzo : 24th January 2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Edit text
Old 24th January 2009, 05:01 PM

Hi

I used 10mm numbers only
A friend used 3mm numbers and letters.

Both were OK for the SVA at Gillingham last week
Mine is on a plate welded top the off side rail in the engine bay.
Just by the headlamp bracket.

HTH David
Old 24th January 2009, 07:30 PM

Hi Ronnie
I made up my own number. Used my name, birthday, engine number up to 17 digits. Stamped them in to the near side of the chassis in 6mm letters. Was fine when I submitted the papers to DVLA. Did my insurance on that number to drive it to MOT and SVA. First time pass SVA. Down hill from there. If your are going to get a Q plate you will need a IVO number. This number tells the police were the car was registered. I had used a single donor but didn’t have the V5 this ment that they would need to contact the original owner. This means that you need to wait 21 days plus the time it takes them to get around to it before you can get the plates. So I waited but they still said that I was going to be issued a Q plate. But before I can have the Qplate I would need the change the chassis number. In the end I stamped the new number and was given my plates. When the log book came and I looked at the chassis number they had used the original number. Just goes to show that they don’t know what they doing.
Old 24th January 2009, 09:10 PM

Thanks chaps.

I really feel for you Frank. It must of been so frustrating for you.

You completed your build in double quick time, first time SVA pass & all of you hard work rewarded buy DVLA mucking about for weeks & weeks.

I have dealt with the DVLA local office at Truro a few times and have found them to be very helpfull & efficient. It remains to be seen if they are so helpfull when I go to register my build though.

As for DVLA Swansea, that is a whole different ball game.

I once recieved a fixed penalty notice for failing to declare SORN on an accident dammaged car that I had bought (Cat C).
A cat c insurance loss reqiures a Vehicle Identity ChecK. Untill this check has taken place you cannot apply for a V5. You cant submit the vehicle for a VIC untill it has been substatially repaired & MOT'd.
If you are not the registered keeper you cannot declare SORN. ( I tried when I bought the car )
It took months & months for them to accept that the vehicle was subject to a VIC and that I was not liable for declaring SORN. (Muppets)

Last edited by Bonzo : 24th January 2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Spelling again
Old 24th January 2009, 09:22 PM

Hi
I have herd that borhamwood DVLA office is the most hard to deal with. I did won’t a age related plate but now iv got the Q plate it doesn’t bother me. It still goes just as fast with the Q.
Old 24th January 2009, 09:25 PM

I still feel for you though, I'd be gutted.

Old 28th January 2009, 03:37 PM

I made my number up from the cars make, build number and my birth year. Its 16 digits long. Sent it off to the local office askign if it was OK? They repliedsaying it was fine and also included all the forms I needed to register the car

I stamped the number on the alumninium plate covering the footwell and also onto the aluminium floor just in front of the drivers seat. More or less where you would find it on the donor Sierra.

No vin plate as such and stamped onto ali panels rivitted to the chassis.

No problem what so ever at SVA (Beverley)

Steve