Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th January 2011, 05:23 PM

This bit is well annoying! I've gone to fit the rs1-3 section and realised the "open" end of the assembly has ended up nearly 10mm over the 421mm it should be from inside wall to inside wall The bottom end measures up fine and the corners are 90 degrees as they should be so I guess the metal has warped at bit on me during tack welding? Should I 1) just put it on as is and adjust the measurement from the center line, 2) try and knock it with a hammer into the right size, 3) chuck it in the scrap pile and try again?
Old 16th January 2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbug007 View Post
This bit is well annoying! I've gone to fit the rs1-3 section and realised the "open" end of the assembly has ended up nearly 10mm over the 421mm it should be from inside wall to inside wall The bottom end measures up fine and the corners are 90 degrees as they should be so I guess the metal has warped at bit on me during tack welding? Should I 1) just put it on as is and adjust the measurement from the center line, 2) try and knock it with a hammer into the right size, 3) chuck it in the scrap pile and try again?
It does indeed seem that it has warped,

so I,d suggest not to do your suggestion number 1.......won,t be easy to get the centerline on chassis to the RS1 & RS2 whilst trying to keep it all in place at same time.....(only 1 pair of hands etc )

Option 2 is a possible ....

Option 3 ...... not needed

My suggestion would be to tack in a cross brace between RS1 & RS2 to keep it at the correct measurement, tack weld the assembley into postion then remove the cross brace & then do a full check on measurements from the chassis centerline,

use a similar process with the upper part of the assembley too ....basically, as you are welding some 45degree corners together its easy for the weld distortion to "PULL" outwards which has created this situation for you.

Hope that helps.

cheers
andy
Old 16th January 2011, 06:25 PM

Interesting idea, wonder if it would work with a bit of wood with holes drilled in it and a couple of clamps? Was also thinkin #1 might be ok as the open end doesnt connect to anything else other than br12 and instead of the inside wall of rs1/2 being 210.5 away from the centerline they'd just be 215mm away from the centerline?
Old 14th February 2011, 07:41 PM

Arg I thought I had this bit sorted but I've gone to fit d12/13 and found that the whole assembly is out I know the d12's should come down and sit on the outside of the rs7 part but mine is 19mm out so one d12 would have to sit on top rather than the side and on the other side it has a gap. Will I get away with just adding a small section of box tube between rs7 and d12 to plug the gap and just weld the other d12 on top rather than the side?
Old 28th September 2011, 11:33 PM

Default Rs 1,2,3 (p43)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun View Post
Hi all, I have welded RS 1,2 and 3 as per the book, when I came to mount onto BR12 my measurement is out by 3.1mm. The drawing on page 43 shows the distance from the rear face of BR12 to the outside of RS3 to be 406.9mm, I get 410mm. RS2 and 3 are exactly to the book measurement. Has anybody had this problem? this 406.9mm dimension looks important as this is where the hangers for the lower wishbone fit. If I put RS 2 and 3 onto the edge of BR12 my measurement is correct, but then there is no room for CP 1 and 2. Am I missing something? any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Shaun
Hi Shaun,

I have got the same problem and am pulling my hair out....dont suppose you could walk me through what went wrong with yours?

Thx

Martyn