Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Electrics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th November 2011, 02:08 PM

Default Megajolt

I'm trying to get my megajolt up and running and I've run into some problems. So far I've only got the power, earth, pip, & saw wired up. I then connected the power & earth to a 12v battery to try and bench test it and get it connecting to my laptop ok. The light on the back of the megajolt comes on indicating it has power. I've installed the latest version of software (v4.02) and started up the software. I then checked the device manager and found it running on com 3 so I switched it to com 3 in the megajolt software. I then start getting loads of microsoft visual c++ runtime errors I did notice though that if I don't click ok on the error message, I can still view the about info showing that it has managed to connect to the megajolt as it shows it's version. As soon as I click OK at the error message, the megajolt software exits I tried updating the laptop with the 2010 (coulnt find a 2011) redistributable install for visual studio but that didn't seem to fix it. I've set the bit rate to 38400 as indicated by an autosports lab forum thread I found. Also strangely if I change the com port it's running on, the version changes?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg megajolt error.JPG (19.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg megajolt version.JPG (11.3 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by brainbug007 : 28th November 2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 29th November 2011, 09:38 AM

I think my problem is definately the serial to usb cable that came from trigger wheels with the MJ. Has anyone else has similar problems and know where I can get a more compatible cable? I don't have an old laptop or a desktop that has a serial port so my only option is to get it working over usb
Old 29th November 2011, 09:59 AM

I reckon this thread will end up long enough to get her indoors to darn my socks with it.I had a problem like this with the emerald cams ecu and it was a combination of the laptop and operating system not being compatible with their software.It took weeks just to work that out.

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 29th November 2011, 10:23 AM

Ya that's what I dreading, when you look on the autosports labs forums, there's literally 1000's of threads about similar problems Starting to think the best thing is to try and find an old laptop to buy with the serial port built in :|
Old 30th November 2011, 09:07 PM

Cheap fleabay laptop with built in serial cables showed up today. Plugged the MJ in on a 9v battery and it worked straight away. Just goes to show how rubbish & unreliable the serial to usb cables are. I definitely wouldn't recommend anyone waste their money on them, even when they come from somewhere "guaranteed" to work like Trigger Wheels