Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th May 2011, 09:35 PM

Default cvh sump

Hi I was just wondering if I would still need to shorten the sump on a CVH if I'm planning on using one of Saturn's large scoop bonnets?
Old 10th May 2011, 10:25 PM

It depends where you position the engine.

I set mine as per the book using the the book design engine mounts and cvh rubber mounts. I had to reduce the sump by 30mm( level with the bell housing)
I also had to make a new o/s engine mount because the steering shaft fouled the original.

Last edited by ayjay : 10th May 2011 at 10:28 PM. Reason: added info
Old 8th June 2011, 11:18 AM

Is anyone using a saturn bonnet and able to give me some measurements? Would like to work out if can get away with not cutting the sump if possible. Also if I do have to cut the sump, do I also need to shorten the pipe that goes into the sump with funnel looking thing on the end of it?
Old 8th June 2011, 11:47 AM

The wide scoop bonnet does give you much extra height its just the width and length that give you the extra room for the larger engines. I would still recommend shortening the CVH sump as it is only thin steel it's made from and is quite vulnerable. There are various pre-shortened alloy or steel sumps for the Zetec which will fit, Raceline do a lovely one but not cheap.

Hope that helps....Andrew

Regards..........AndyH
Old 8th June 2011, 11:48 AM

Ideally you want the engine as low as possible without any ground clearance issues so I would shorten the sump if I was you even if you use a bonnet with a larger bump.
Old 8th June 2011, 11:53 AM

Your engine height is partially determined by where your gearbox sits. If your using the gearbox mount, as described in the book, your engine is going to be in a very similar position as everyone else. So you'll probably have to take the sump flush with the bell housing, modifying the oil pick up to suit. Your engine will fit under the standard bonnet OK. From memory I lopped around 30mm off my sump to make it flush with the bellhousing.
Old 8th June 2011, 11:55 AM

Cool thanks for the input guys. So with shortening it, do I have to also shorten the pipe I mentioned above that goes down into the sump?
Old 8th June 2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbug007 View Post
Cool thanks for the input guys. So with shortening it, do I have to also shorten the pipe I mentioned above that goes down into the sump?
Yes you do BB, luckily the pick up pipe for the CVH is steel whereas the Zetec is plastic so can be shortened okay. You must be sure that the pick up is about 5mm from the bottom of the sump, it describes how to do this in the book.

Andrew

Regards..........AndyH
Old 8th June 2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud69 View Post
Yes you do BB, luckily the pick up pipe for the CVH is steel whereas the Zetec is plastic so can be shortened okay. You must be sure that the pick up is about 5mm from the bottom of the sump, it describes how to do this in the book.

Andrew
silvertop zetecs are steel pickups and i set mine a bit tighter on the sump pickup gap and angled slighty on my cut n shut alloy cast sump as i have had meny reports of flickering oil pressure under braking etc
Old 9th June 2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud69 View Post
The wide scoop bonnet does give you much extra height its just the width and length that give you the extra room for the larger engines. I would still recommend shortening the CVH sump as it is only thin steel it's made from and is quite vulnerable. There are various pre-shortened alloy or steel sumps for the Zetec which will fit, Raceline do a lovely one but not cheap.

Hope that helps....Andrew
where are the pre shortened sumps available from?
i am after one for a cvh but unable to weld so cant do my own
thanks
steve