Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Electrics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th March 2013, 07:30 PM

Default Where to start?!

I've finally decided to start wiring up my car after putting it of for a few months, I've got the cable tie bases ready and now just need to buy a set of ratchet crimps.

However I am having really difficulties knowing where to start, I have a premier looms wiring loom which has been a great help as it's all there with instructions, and I know what I am doing when I get to say the front loom and attaching it to the lights, fan and horn etc, but its the middle section of the loom with the fuses/instrument cluster wires that I am getting overwelmed with.

I think a good start for me will be to fix the middle section of the loom in postion, which will then allow me to work out from there and do the simple part I know how to do to build my confidence, however I am unsure where I should put everything to fix it in place. Obviously the fuse boxes will mount to the bulkhead panel, but how do people go about routing the front loom + engine loom, do they put it through a grommet in the bulk head or just bring it through the tunnel again?

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting

Last edited by Tatey : 24th March 2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 24th March 2013, 10:37 PM

its a effin nightmare Simon, but I just worked on ONE circuit at a time its a right pita but when you "understand" what the circuit does it is like turning a light on, then you wonder what the hell you were scared of......I turned my ignition on tonight for the first time and was expecting some magic smoke or the crack of a fuse going ........nowt happened ....so steady away bud.
Old 25th March 2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatey View Post
I've finally decided to start wiring up my car after putting it of for a few months, I've got the cable tie bases ready and now just need to buy a set of ratchet crimps.

However I am having really difficulties knowing where to start, I have a premier looms wiring loom which has been a great help as it's all there with instructions, and I know what I am doing when I get to say the front loom and attaching it to the lights, fan and horn etc, but its the middle section of the loom with the fuses/instrument cluster wires that I am getting overwelmed with.

I think a good start for me will be to fix the middle section of the loom in postion, which will then allow me to work out from there and do the simple part I know how to do to build my confidence, however I am unsure where I should put everything to fix it in place. Obviously the fuse boxes will mount to the bulkhead panel, but how do people go about routing the front loom + engine loom, do they put it through a grommet in the bulk head or just bring it through the tunnel again?
Fix all the components like fuse and relay boxes where you want them, along with any ECUs, and as said one circuit at a time.

Start with the ones furthest away from the fuse box and work back. Try to keep the closer circuits running along the now already existing cable runs as far as possible as that keeps the wiring neat which looks better for the IVA.

My personal preference for wiring through bulkheads is to use an in line connector with a jam nut through the bulkhead. It keeps it neat and makes removal much easier should you ever need to. They can be quite expensive for large numbers of pins though.

If you are using EFI then put the engine on a separate loom too so that you can bring the engine out near complete. Much easier than scrabbling around in the depths of a bay for a crank sensor plug you can't see.
Old 22nd April 2013, 12:49 PM

when i put my loom in i first sat down wit a beer one eve and with pen and masking tape idented the end of each wire end.
then when i came to fit i pulled the cables in starting from the middle of the car dont worry about conecting anything up just route the wires where thay need to be and coil up the ends to length
then when your happy mount up fuse box and bits working from center to front and back
flexi split conduit is a god send when it comes to making a loom well worth the few quid it cost
Old 22nd April 2013, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mines all goign to be sectional on multiplugs so that it can all come out again. I am using 20mm flexible conduit to contain the wires and clipping that in place with 22mm polypie clips.

The most complex part of the loom is the dash as I counted 20 individual wires and that's excluding the column controls.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 24th April 2013, 04:46 AM

Where did you get the multiplugs ? I'm about to change a couple of switches on my dash and it would make sense to fit connectors to simplify future access and maintenance
Old 24th April 2013, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.trigger-wheels.com/store/...en-uk/d10.html

Millitary connectors, seems a good price.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders