Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th August 2013, 09:31 AM

Default Just practising

Trying to upload photos but failing miserably, it seems different using an I-mac to normal windows

Arfon

Last edited by TheArf : 11th August 2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11th August 2013, 10:38 AM

Hi
I'm new to the forum, been working everything out I would like to do, I have noticed that rather than keeping the box section running around the perimeter of the chassis you have put the cross members through, this wouldn't be ideal as this is the box sections weakest profile, you will create point where the chassis will flex, I was thinking about mitring the rear corners on mine but still looking for a weak point in doing it.

Lee
Old 11th August 2013, 11:10 AM

Hi Lee, I'm not sure I follow you. Which chassis tubes are you talking about?
Old 11th August 2013, 01:06 PM

What a weird thread !

It looks like Arfon was opening it regarding uploading pictures, so I go on on this topic.

Arfon, I don't think it should be any different from PC to Mac.
To publish pictures on the forum, there are 2 possibilities
1 - upload pictures directly from your computer's library
2 - upload pictures from a website where you previously stored your pictures.

1 - First, most of the pictures we take now with our digital cameras or smart phones are too big for the forum (jpg pictures on the forum can be 97.7 kb maximum). So your pictures will need to be reduced if you want to upload them directly from your computer.
There are many ways to reduce the size of a picture, though, I don't know the utility software on Mac.
Be aware also that the pictures you'll upload this way will appear on the forum only to connected members. By opposition to the second method where all the pictures are always visible to any visitor, which is much nicer I think.
So if you are not comfortable with reducing the size of your pictures and so on, the best option for you is the second option.

2 - Open an account on Photobucket or flickr.

I know a lot of members use photobucket, but I don't really like it : it is full of advertisement, it plays commercial video while you're working, and all these craps slow down the process. I find it really annoying to use. I gave up on it and now I use flickr, which is, to my opinion, much nicer to use.

To publish pictures from your flickr or photobucket gallery on the forum, you need to copy what is called the "BB Code" of the picture on your post.
How to get it ? On flickr, once you have uploaded the picture(s) on your flickr gallery, select the picture you want to upload on the forum (click on it to "edit" or "open" it), and click on the small icon you'll see at the bottom right of the window, looking like a frame (computer screen ?) with an arrow going out from it. This is the "sharing" icon. A box will open with 2 choices: HTML, and BBCode. Click on BBcode. Then click on the complicated-looking code in the window, it will be automatically selected (blue). Copy this code, and paste it on your post on the forum. Your picture will appear (in the preview or when you submit your post).
In the same windows, you can also chose the size of the picture (how big it will appear on the forum. I think that 500x375 is OK. If you want people to be able to see details, 640x480 might be a better size. After, 800x600 is really big I think.
If you use photobucket or another pictures storage website, the process is slightly the same, you need to copy the BBCode and paste it on your post, that is what is important.

Hope this will help Good luck !
Old 11th August 2013, 02:30 PM

Getting back on topic... I use IMGUR (search in google) to upload my photos. Once done, I select the 'Large Thumbnail' option at the bottom of the menu on the right hand side of the newly uploaded photo, then copy across the BBCode into your post. Job done
Old 12th August 2013, 08:33 AM

I have started to put photos on Google photo still playing about with it.
I have had enough of photobucket because every time I log into it they keep interrupting it with adverts saying that I am the 1 millionth user that day and I have won a trip to mars on concord.
Going back to the item Williams 2 brought up, if you know anything about fabrication the weakest type of weld is an end to end butt weld.
I have also had both set-ups run through a design program by a guy that designs for Mercedes trailers and his answer was the same so, with the greatest respect I will go with his results.
Also with end to end butt welds you are relying on four welds where as with my alterations I have eight welds to rely on.
At the end of the day, everyone makes there own decisions and alterations to suit themselves.

Kind regards

Arfon
Old 12th August 2013, 02:47 PM

Hi all I am still struggling a bit by I have added a few photos at the end of my photobucket link which show my engine and gearbox nearing completion

Arfon
Old 12th August 2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArf View Post
Hi all I am still struggling a bit by I have added a few photos at the end of my photobucket link which show my engine and gearbox nearing completion

Arfon
The diff and uprights at the begnning of your photobucket - and the engine and g'box at the end - all look damn tidy. Are there details on your build thread of how you prepared and painted them? (what products you used -etc?) If I can get that look for my running gear I will be well pleased!
Old 12th August 2013, 04:39 PM

The diff was serious hard graft, the guy I bought it from had painted it in red lead to stop it rusting so first hit it with Nitromorse and then into every nook and cranny with a dremmel. I painted the main body with caliper paint and then powdercoated the rear diff cover using the electrostatic magic system.
Front uprights were treated to a dose of electrolysis, bearings and again caliper paint to try and handle any heat.
The engine had a complete strip down and rebuild, all parts stripped, painted and re-assembled. I did try and powder coat the rocker but it didn't come out good enough, I know where I went wrong and next time I powdercoat it I know the pitfalls. So I stripped it right back and painted it and the timing belt cover with Hammerite silver

Arfon