Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th June 2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps View Post
don't wipe out Deep Folly! I use it for inspiration and tips!
Same for me! Please don't wipe it out! And you are one of the few who installed a DOHC in the Roadster, so it is a lot of inspiration for me, as that is the engine I'm using too!

Good luck with the new build, looks like an amazing challenge
Old 21st June 2013, 09:28 AM

Hi everybody. To create space for my new ramblings I have condensed the old build diary down to a single page - the handy hints and tips remain on a seperate page. this gives me 6 pages for the new build, which I have started to write up. Hope that helps.
Dave.
PS really pleased to see that people have found the original build diary helpful, I often wondered if I was wasting my time with all that typing.
Old 24th June 2013, 02:52 PM

welcome back and good luck with the new build. I'll be watching with interest.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_bill/
Old 17th July 2013, 07:12 PM

Been well busy recently, now got the engine and box out of the donor car. What a complete nightmare. The Ford 4 pots are as light as a feather by comparison. Got it done after about 5 ours of brutal manhandling. It is now in the workshop sat by the chassis and in a position where I can take proper measurements from it. I can see problems ahead as it is such a massive lump. Looks like I am going to be able to sit it further back than I thought, which should be good for weight distribution. I have updated my web site - all the latest piccies here: http://www.deepfolly.co.uk/4.html
Old 17th July 2013, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

So do you have an idea of what you want it to look like?

It's a mighty big engine, and a might tough rear end.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 18th July 2013, 08:32 AM

That is one almighty beasty

Arfon
Old 18th July 2013, 08:43 AM

TT, it is going to have elements from an enlarged MG TC and some elements from a 1950's Singer that I saw at a show earlier in the year. It will have running boards and sweeping arches, the back will be fairly steeply sloped. I have to accept the fact that my sheet metal working skills are very limited so there will be a lot of straight panels. I have an idea to use VW beetle wings to give me some basis for some shape and form. I will be going to Newark autojumble at the weekend to seek some inspiration. I think the biggest issue for me from the appearance point of view is the engine cooling. The front may have to be wider than I would like due to the massive radiator required. The front will be tapered so if I can get the engine far enough back I can also get the rad back and then make the very front a bit narrower - hope that makes sense?
Arf - it is indeed an almighty beast. At some point the heads have to come off so I can replace the valve stem oil seals - not a job that I am looking forward to. A special tool is needed to get the heads off these monsters as they have studs running through water ways, which corrode and stop the head from lifting off. I figure it will be much easier to do with the lump bolted in to the chassis.
I am now waiting for some saw blades for my reciprocating saw, can't do much more until they arrive.
Best and all that,
Dave.
Old 18th July 2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
The front may have to be wider than I would like due to the massive radiator required. The front will be tapered so if I can get the engine far enough back I can also get the rad back and then make the very front a bit narrower - hope that makes sense?
If you chose to have your radiator custom made in aluminium, you can drastically reduce the dimensions for the same cooling capacities as the OEM radiator. PWR, for example, can study the minimum size you need if you provide them with all data's (Make, Model, Series, Year, Engine, HP, Manual / Auto, Use(Race, Street, Off-road, etc.), air flow, etc.)

It is of course also a question of money, because these radiators are not cheap, but that is road I would explore.

PWR Europe is in the UK. If you need more info, don't hesitate to contact me.

Hope this help
Old 18th July 2013, 09:11 PM

Thanks for that Sylvain, having a custom rad would be a bit outside of my planned budget. Mrs Enoch might punch me in the face if I tried that one. The Jag radiator quite weird in the way it is configured as it appears to be a bit like 2 radiators in one. I am going to have a good look at the workshop manual as I am thinking that maybe 2 rads in a V shape with the point at the front of the car may work quite well, if I can work out how to do it. There are lots of things I intend to work out as I go - it's probably not the best way to do it but it's just the way I kind of enjoy working.
Today I got to take out the dash, gear selector, speedo cable and steering column - not many donor parts left in the car now.
Tomorrow I hope to get the front chassis cross member cut so I can slide the engine back to where it should sit. I can then start finalising some measurements and begin cutting metal for the front end.
Happy days indeed