Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6th February 2011, 11:49 AM

Default Another build thread

I thought I'd better start a build diary, and this seems a good a place as any, so here we go with a little introduction.

It all began on new years day, I was idly browsing Amazon when I happened upon 'the book'.
I suspect that might turn out to be the most expensive impulse purchase I've ever made!
It took most of January to clear/organise the garage, and I'm still not quite there... Yes it was that bad! Still a fair bit of junk to clear out.

The last few days have been spent knocking up a rather rickety build table.
I just need to add a bit more support to the legs and mark out the top and I should be ready to rock!
Sadly I'm not as blessed in square footage as most people here seem to be, so this is where it's all going to have to happen:

The keen eyed might spot one of Handy Andy's flat pack kits on the desk at the back.
I picked it up second hand from this very forum.
The guy selling it never got around to starting but had still managed to 'misplace' some of the bits.
Lucky for me Handy Andy was kind enough to replace them free of charge

Donor wise, I'm 99% sure I'm going to go MX5.
My current toy car is a Mk1 import, and I'm still trying to decide whether to use it as the donor, or look out for a crashed one.
It's in reasonable nick so it seems a shame to break it, but on the other hand I know it's been looked after and all works!
Either way it's going to have to go to make space for / fund the roadster build:

I'm hoping to make a start welding the chassis in the next couple of days, so hopefully I'll have some real progress to report soon!

-----------
EDIT: Shortly after I started my build Saturn announced the development of their MX5 roadster.
Luckily I hadn't got very far with mine, so rather than reinvent the wheel (and c0ck it up!), I thought it'd be easier/safer to just copy their design
-----------

Last edited by skov : 19th March 2011 at 08:58 AM.