Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th February 2011, 11:49 AM

Default Another build thread

I thought I'd better start a build diary, and this seems a good a place as any, so here we go with a little introduction.

It all began on new years day, I was idly browsing Amazon when I happened upon 'the book'.
I suspect that might turn out to be the most expensive impulse purchase I've ever made!
It took most of January to clear/organise the garage, and I'm still not quite there... Yes it was that bad! Still a fair bit of junk to clear out.

The last few days have been spent knocking up a rather rickety build table.
I just need to add a bit more support to the legs and mark out the top and I should be ready to rock!
Sadly I'm not as blessed in square footage as most people here seem to be, so this is where it's all going to have to happen:

The keen eyed might spot one of Handy Andy's flat pack kits on the desk at the back.
I picked it up second hand from this very forum.
The guy selling it never got around to starting but had still managed to 'misplace' some of the bits.
Lucky for me Handy Andy was kind enough to replace them free of charge

Donor wise, I'm 99% sure I'm going to go MX5.
My current toy car is a Mk1 import, and I'm still trying to decide whether to use it as the donor, or look out for a crashed one.
It's in reasonable nick so it seems a shame to break it, but on the other hand I know it's been looked after and all works!
Either way it's going to have to go to make space for / fund the roadster build:

I'm hoping to make a start welding the chassis in the next couple of days, so hopefully I'll have some real progress to report soon!

-----------
EDIT: Shortly after I started my build Saturn announced the development of their MX5 roadster.
Luckily I hadn't got very far with mine, so rather than reinvent the wheel (and c0ck it up!), I thought it'd be easier/safer to just copy their design
-----------

Last edited by skov : 19th March 2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 6th February 2011, 12:17 PM

Welcome to the forum Skov....you would not be alone in the scary space dept, I have a double garage but it seems like a single with all the junk..... and there are lots on here that are in the same boat as you....is that an old suz TS I see there, vintage now....I also see you are a aeromodeller if you fancy any large aircraft plans drop me a line I have loads, not that you will any time to build aircraft once you get started with this. Any Q's just ask on here and you will get a quick responce, a lot on here are now been there, done it, got the t shirt brigade....keep us up to date dude
Old 6th February 2011, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck,

I have a 1 1/2 size garage. It's a good size.

But full of stuff for cars. I think there's 6 engines in there, 6 gearboxes. Countless ancilliaries, bits, bobs and junk. Only just enough space to get to the roadster.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 6th February 2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KEV View Post
Welcome to the forum Skov....you would not be alone in the scary space dept, I have a double garage but it seems like a single with all the junk..... and there are lots on here that are in the same boat as you....is that an old suz TS I see there, vintage now....I also see you are a aeromodeller if you fancy any large aircraft plans drop me a line I have loads, not that you will any time to build aircraft once you get started with this. Any Q's just ask on here and you will get a quick responce, a lot on here are now been there, done it, got the t shirt brigade....keep us up to date dude
I'm ok for aircraft plans, but thanks for the offer - can't see me doing any aeromodelling for a little while now!
The top of the garage and my attic are bulging with airframes waiting to be repaired as it is
The bikes are my son's old Yam TY80, which is getting pretty vintage now (late 70's I think), and my 2002 Gasgas 280 pro.
Talk about too many hobbies and not enough time. or space for that matter!
Old 6th February 2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo View Post
Good luck,

I have a 1 1/2 size garage. It's a good size.

But full of stuff for cars. I think there's 6 engines in there, 6 gearboxes. Countless ancilliaries, bits, bobs and junk. Only just enough space to get to the roadster.

TT
You wouldnt happen to have a spare T9 in said garage would you?
Old 6th February 2011, 07:42 PM

Hi Skov, welcome to the forum. If you take a look at my build blog (address in signature) you'll see my garage is of a similar size, so I'm sure you'll manage. I'm planning to get my car up to rolling chassis stage asap so I can wheel it out onto the drive to do work on it once the weather gets better.
Just enjoy it mate, and keep us updated.

http://alansroadster.blogspot.com/
Old 6th February 2011, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shh120m View Post
You wouldnt happen to have a spare T9 in said garage would you?
I have 2 , but they are V6 and they are alllllll mine!

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 6th February 2011, 10:21 PM

First few bits tacked into place

Old 7th February 2011, 11:28 AM

Nice to see that you have made a start skov

I know how great it feels to get those first few tubes on the board & tacked up

The MX5 looks far too good to break, pehaps you'll be lucky enough to find a dammaged one in a breakers .... That said, needs must & all that

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 7th February 2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
Nice to see that you have made a start skov

I know how great it feels to get those first few tubes on the board & tacked up

The MX5 looks far too good to break, pehaps you'll be lucky enough to find a dammaged one in a breakers .... That said, needs must & all that
Yep, it certainly did feel good! Can't wait to get back in the garage now. I could have stayed out there all night, but I need to be careful if I want my marriage to outlive the build

I've got another 6 months tax/insurance left on the Maz, so I won't be selling or breaking it before then. In the meantime I'll keep an eye out for a cheap one.
To be fair mine is showing the first signs of sill rot, so it's days are numbered anyway. At least that's my excuse if I do break it