Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th April 2012, 09:18 PM

Looks like your'e making some cracking progress there Chris.

It's always nice to see ppl doing their own thing and coming up with new ideas.
I guess you are planning to use the MX5 brake/clutch and go faster pedal assembly by the look of it. Looking forward to see how that pans out..

Well keep posting piccy's ....Johno
Old 5th April 2012, 01:13 AM

Thanks Johno those words will keep me motivated for another 3 months! With regard to the pedals it's really down to money but it would be cool for other people who come along to know it is possible to keep them albeit modified somewhat. If it don't pan out it's no big deal at this stage.
Old 9th April 2012, 11:08 PM

Currently suffering from "Paralysis by Analysis" since I made the seat runners and tacked them to the floor. All of a sudden there are loads of interesting things to think about and position. So ultimately I have managed to half do about 5 different things. Like seat back/headrest positioning (IVA), Prop cut and in place, handbrake cables and bracket hacked out of the donor and half positioned, belt mount positions thought about, bonnet options considered. I start one job and end up doing another. And seem to spend most of my time just thinking about stuff. I need to make a critical path! I guess this is the best bit when you stop using the book to build the car and it becomes your creation!

Oh I put the pedals back in yesterday and it seems I don't need to do anything with the throttle cable as it just refitted to the engine and worked fine! Bonus. Looks like I can get the handbrake where i want it too and clear the prop and as a bonus don't have to chop up the cables.

Last edited by CTWV50 : 9th April 2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10th April 2012, 04:02 AM

Thinking about stuff, I can relate to that! But it seems that all that thinking is not time wasted, somehow implemented solutions materialise with time out of all that thinking. Same with tinkering with whatever takes your fancy on a given moment. If you keep doing that, the car will be finished eventually.
Old 10th April 2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alga View Post
Thinking about stuff, I can relate to that! But it seems that all that thinking is not time wasted, somehow implemented solutions materialise with time out of all that thinking. Same with tinkering with whatever takes your fancy on a given moment. If you keep doing that, the car will be finished eventually.
Thanks Albert, I was starting to think I had hit a barrier but you're right, the simplest solutions do come with time and tinkering? :-))
Old 10th April 2012, 11:33 AM

Talking

I can remember those moments too

Then there are times when you think to yourself "its finished"............but then find something else that needs doing

The "to do" list does eventually get smaller until the point where you think to yourself....I,ll just check this & that to make sure .

cheers
andy
Old 11th April 2012, 12:06 AM

Cheers Andy. Tonight I had a break from thinking and stripped down the two front brake calipers as the donors brakes were quite frankly non existent, and boy was I right too the pitting to the pistons is really quite bad I will need to replace the pistons. I know a place that will acid dip and plate the calipers and carriers for free and then I'll rebuild them. It'll be a lot cheaper than replacements. Not sure if I'm brave enough to do the rears they look a little more involved.

Last edited by CTWV50 : 12th April 2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11th April 2012, 12:25 AM

If you look on ebay you can get mx5 reconditioned ones for about £44. I am sure i got £15 from mwd ltd. When you look at the cost of the kits to recon them yourself I figured it was best to get someone else to do it.

David

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.
Old 11th April 2012, 12:51 AM

I definitely need one rear so I'll get that of ebay. Refurbing the fronts will cost £30 and I'll have nice clean carriers too. If I couldn't get the plating done for free then yes, ebay it would be for the lot. Hopefully looking at about £120 to get all the callipers sorted.

EDIT: Oh hang on looks like you're right, seal kit and pistons for the front is £45 plus del and you can get em on ebay for £53 delivered. Oh well some more disassembled metal to weigh in then!

Last edited by CTWV50 : 12th April 2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11th April 2012, 03:16 PM

sell the old calipers on ebay!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.