Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th April 2015, 01:25 PM

I hope something better comes of all the red tape you have had to endure Chris, cos your story would no doubt put some peeps off having a go at an incredibly satisfying project "building your own car" hopefully peeps can see through all this waffle and still have a go .....good on yer for plodding on mate
Old 29th April 2015, 01:29 PM

I am aware of the negativity but all I can say is keep your receipts, take pictures, lots of pictures, keep records of dates and ask for help on here. It's still possible to get registered there's just a few more hoops to jump through at the end. I'm now in a position to advise if anyone has to go through the HMRC malarky.

Edit: An important date is the year you complete the chassis, seemed to be a sticking point with HMRC.

Last edited by CTWV50 : 29th April 2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 29th April 2015, 02:07 PM

Got the cover note!
Old 29th April 2015, 02:23 PM

Glad you've got through the mire Chris, must say it makes me a bit worried as mine is someone elses failed project and he kept none of the original receipts. As mine stands there is not a single component on the chassis that hasn't been replaced and even the chassis has been altered so I can cover all that but not purchase of original metal etc
Fingers crossed
Old 29th April 2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianr View Post
Glad you've got through the mire Chris, must say it makes me a bit worried as mine is someone elses failed project and he kept none of the original receipts. As mine stands there is not a single component on the chassis that hasn't been replaced and even the chassis has been altered so I can cover all that but not purchase of original metal etc
Fingers crossed
You might have to get creative with your receipts, worse case is a Q Plate I'd imagine. You have the receipt for the kit car from the previous owner which should be fine for HMRC with regards to VAT. Which is all they're after really.

OK I'm done with DVLA swell now V5 is in the post. Going to see if any friendly garages will make me some reg plates tomorrow based on the cover note!
Old 29th April 2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post
You might have to get creative with your receipts, worse case is a Q Plate I'd imagine. You have the receipt for the kit car from the previous owner which should be fine for HMRC with regards to VAT. Which is all they're after really.

OK I'm done with DVLA swell now V5 is in the post. Going to see if any friendly garages will make me some reg plates tomorrow based on the cover note!
Thanks for that advice Chris - hope it works.
Number plates - ask for some 'show' plates, then you can get anything you want!
Also - are you/and maybe the car/ going to the Nat Kitcar show? Be nice to put a face to a name
Ian
Old 29th April 2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Fingers crossed
For what its worth, my reciept for the steel to make the chassis was just a printed out email.. could have been from anyone..

Cheers
Stot
Old 29th April 2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that advice Chris - hope it works.
Number plates - ask for some 'show' plates, then you can get anything you want!
Also - are you/and maybe the car/ going to the Nat Kitcar show? Be nice to put a face to a name
Ian
I doubt I'll make it to Stoneleigh this year but do want to go one year. I'm just getting over a bad clod/flu.

I've asked a friend of friend who owns a garage with plate making ability so I should be on the road tomorrow. Only concern is the council tax cheque hasn't crashed yet.
Old 29th April 2015, 10:27 PM

Well done on finally getting past the dvla.
My tax disc turned up 4 days before the cheque was cashed.
Old 29th April 2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriesLandy View Post
Well done on finally getting past the dvla.
My tax disc turned up 4 days before the cheque was cashed.
Thanks for that Steve, Looks like I'm good to go then!

Benn meaning to ask, what did you use to make the pattern for your covers. That's my next job! Cheers