Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th March 2013, 01:10 AM

Default Convert a live axle diff to IRS

Ok first a bit about my situation I am an expat living in Thailand and have just started getting my workshop sorted to build the roadster.

My problem being is lack of donor cars here in Thailand.
Things like the sierra are rare as hens teeth
Mx5 are way too expensive

so my choice is to mix and match I know i can find a live axle from an old Toyota corolla

so what I was thinking is could I cut the axle and re weld the bearing and seal carriers back on the get some drive shafts to fit I.e from a front wheel drive car as they will be easy to get along with front hubs of said car for my uprights.

any Ideas??
Old 16th March 2013, 07:30 AM

Erm how do I put this as I'm not known for my tact... Firstly welcome to the forum, next if you can only get a live axle why don'y you look at building a Ron Champion 'locost' which uses a 5 link back end with a live axle and there is even the 'McSorley' plans which will make it as big as the roadster. If you really want to do a lot of fabrication for a converted axle/diff you may want to google 'DeDion' axles which might help you.

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334

Last edited by Talonmotorsport : 17th March 2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 16th March 2013, 10:09 AM

It might be easier to have the sierra suspension ,engine and box sent over. You could probably get the whole lot for £150. Freight would not be dear if you contacted a freight consolidator . The rest you could find out there. Just thoughts.

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 16th March 2013, 12:38 PM

I think the MX-5 route is the way to go. Over here MX-5's in good order are pretty expensive, too (£2000-4000), but one could get the frame with the powertrain from the breakers for around £250 (but this might be an effect of availability of cheap RHD wrecks from UK). The project will end up costing you at least £3000-4000 anyways, so it's worth considering getting an appropriate donor.

If you're determined to use a solid axle, you're indeed better off looking at Ron Champion's Locost or derivatives, and would get better advice on other forums, like http://locostusa.com/forums/
Old 16th March 2013, 10:24 PM

Thanks for the replies ,
TalonmotorsportLOl Don't worry about being less than tactful say what you goto say .I have looked at the locost Ron champion design but to be honest I do prefer the later book ( I have both books) .

robo I have never heard of a freight consolidator how do they work cos I would be happy to pay that sort of shipping cost as I also would want to ship a nose cone and wings out.

alga I am currently looking for an mx5 donor or parts but very very expensive even an early model here is 2-3 K but will keep looking

I did however find a sierra sapphire 1994 (i think) problem is it A. has not been moved for 6 years .B. in 2010 we had major floods where I am and the car was up to its roof for more than 6 weeks and nothing has been done since.

He is asking over £600 for it (I am a white man Thais like to have a double charging standard here. Thai one price farrang aka white people a lot higher price.

I would consider it as I reckon it would still be ok the transmission and axle etc but would need a rebuild.

Thanks
Laurence
Old 17th March 2013, 10:43 AM

Freight consolidators. Other than normal postage (expensive) the only way to ship stuff around the world cheaply is a shipping container. There are firms that buy that container heading say to auz , its then their job to try and fill it. If they fill it they make money if they dont they lose. Typically a standard pallet can hold a ton so all your running gear including the engine and box would fit on a standard pallet, they only criteria for moving mechanical stuff via containers is that they are drained of oil. There are plenty of companies offering running gear all ready to go on the bay of thieves.

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 17th March 2013, 02:49 PM

Lawrence, can you get a native Thai colleague to make an approach on the Sierra instead ?
Old 18th March 2013, 12:22 PM

Yes I am trying to arrange that today I went look for donor parts and to be honest I would be better getting the sierra .....just the engine and gearbox alone will cost £800 for a Toyota unit 3s didn’t get the year or anything so I recon if I could knock a couple of hundred of the sierra then its gonna be wort it.
Old 18th March 2013, 07:14 PM

I know this can be expensive, but what about BMW ? They are everywhere

ZX9R BEC Haynes Roadster - build cost so far: £1125
My build thread

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." J.W.Goethe
Old 18th March 2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thailoz View Post
Yes I am trying to arrange that today I went look for donor parts and to be honest I would be better getting the sierra .....just the engine and gearbox alone will cost £800 for a Toyota unit 3s didn’t get the year or anything so I recon if I could knock a couple of hundred of the sierra then its gonna be wort it.
Frankly, it's outrageous that the asking price for a sunken Sierra is more than scrap value. It is a gamble whether the gearbox and the diff are not seized with rust. The rest of the parts you should be able to refurbish rather inexpensively.