Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Electrics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26th July 2014, 03:59 PM

Default Fuel pump voltage

Just before I started fitted the bodywork I tried the engine on and it was working.
Now that I want to start it up again, it doesn't
Everything else works (starter, etc.) but the fuel pump doesn't run. Normally, I can here it turning a few seconds when I turn the ignition key on, to pre-load the engine, then it cuts until I turn the key to startup the started motor. Now, I hear the the relay "click", so it is working, but I can't hear the pump running.
I checked the connection with the ohmmeter, and everything is OK from the fuse to the fuel pump connector on the tank closure plate (in-tank original pump from ford Sierra 2.0i DOHC)
I checked the voltage, during the pre-load, ad after, when the started engine is running (the fuel pump is suppose to run then) and everywhere I take it, I only have only 0.14 volts, whether I take it at the fuse, the relay, or the fuel pump connector itself. Of course 0 volts when the pump is not supposed to run (ignition off and after the few seconds pre-load, before switching on the started motor)

Is it normal that the voltage at the fuel pump is so low? Can anyone help me identifying the problem ?

FYI:
- battery is fully charged,
- I removed the inertia switch and connected the wires together,
- fuse and relay are OK, I have tested the circuit with another relay of the same sort, and it is the same.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.