Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Electrics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th March 2010, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

I would leave pin 30 Disconected on the Inhibit relay. It should be redundant with 86 & 87 Joined.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 7th March 2010, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

8 pin is not used on the Early 1.8CVH loom from what I can see , if you Dont have realy XI then the 8 pin will not be in use.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Old 7th March 2010, 02:10 PM

[quote=twinturbo;33353]I would leave pin 30 Disconected on the Inhibit relay. It should be redundant with 86 & 87 Joined.

TT[/QUOT ,
If i left pin 30 disconnected, what does the blue/black wire form the ignition switch go, as ive connected pin 30 to the blue/black wire? i think thats wrong now that you explain it to me.

Also REALLY THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!!
Old 7th March 2010, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, Ford in their wisdom have 2 verisons of the diagram

Diag 3A for "Automatic Cars"
Diag 3B for "2.0 DOHC Cars"

No Diag for non Auto cars or non DOHC cars is specified....

I plumped for the latter

Sounds like the CVH must conform to 3A instead, in which case

Circuit 50- from the switch (SW-BL ) does indeed go to Relay XII pin 30. And in non auto form would be Jumpered to pin 87 also (SW-BL).

Forget the other two pins

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Old 7th March 2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo View Post
Ok, Ford in their wisdom have 2 verisons of the diagram

Diag 3A for "Automatic Cars"
Diag 3B for "2.0 DOHC Cars"

No Diag for non Auto cars or non DOHC cars is specified....

I plumped for the latter

Sounds like the CVH must conform to 3A instead, in which case

Circuit 50- from the switch (SW-BL ) does indeed go to Relay XII pin 30. And in non auto form would be Jumpered to pin 87 also (SW-BL).

Forget the other two pins

TT
hmm, that makes me think how the xii relay was turned on, as i cant seem to get it to. oh well, ill keep trying
Old 7th March 2010, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

your all making this a lot harder than it has to be. every wire coming out of the ignition switch is positive none of them go to ground.

1.) bolt a big fat red wire from the + terminal on the battery to big terminal on the starter

2.) bolt a big fat black wire to the - of the battery, then to anywhere on the engine

3.) extend the thick red wire from the ignition barrel and attach it to the + of the battery.

4.) extend the slightly less fat blue and black wire from the ignition barrel and connect it to the smaller terminal on the starter motor.

when you turn the key the starter motor should now run and turn the engine over.

the big fat black wire on the ignition barrel is a + and goes to the fuse box to power all the rest of the electrics on the car. this turns on and off with the key.

the little yellow wire also + and is for things like radios etc and also goes on and off with the key.

all you then need to do is give the ignition module box a live feed off the black wire on the back of the ignition barrel. connect the ignition module to the dizzy coil pack and ballast resistor hook up the ht leads and it should run.

and finally forget relays you dont need them for this part of the electrics as all the switch gear is man enough to take the required currents.

Last edited by AshG : 7th March 2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 7th March 2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshG View Post
your all making this a lot harder than it has to be. every wire coming out of the ignition switch is positive none of them go to ground.

1.) bolt a big fat red wire from the + terminal on the battery to big terminal on the starter

2.) bolt a big fat black wire to the - of the battery, then to anywhere on the engine

3.) extend the thick red wire from the ignition barrel and attach it to the + of the battery.

4.) extend the slightly less fat blue and black wire from the ignition barrel and connect it to the smaller terminal on the starter motor.

when you turn the key the starter motor should now run and turn the engine over.

the big fat black wire on the ignition barrel is a + and goes to the fuse box to power all the rest of the electrics on the car. this turns on and off with the key.

the little yellow wire also + and is for things like radios etc and also goes on and off with the key.

all you then need to do is give the ignition module box a live feed off the black wire on the back of the ignition barrel. connect the ignition module to the dizzy coil pack and ballast resistor hook up the ht leads and it should run.

and finally forget relays you dont need them for this part of the electrics as all the switch gear is man enough to take the required currents.
yep, im sure my electrics are right now, as this is what ive done. ONe fuel line seems to be blocked though??
Old 7th March 2010, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshG View Post

Everything should already be there as part of the loom if it's not been chopped out.

Personaly... I will build a loom as I don't see the need to reuse the ford box and wires.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Old 7th March 2010, 06:09 PM

Bolt the big fa...............Oh Bo***x
Way too late..

Heaven, Warm days and Cool rides
Old 7th March 2010, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

did the smoke escape out the wires david?