Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th March 2014, 12:24 PM

Default 14" open 9.5" closed GAZ shocks for sale £100 delivered

Hi,

I've decided to use 13" open shocks instead to limit droop so I now have these pair for sale. They are 18 months old roughly and have spent most of that time in the box. They have seen some action but only mainly me jumping up and down on the chassis and 2 small speed bumps about 10 times.

I'll provide them with the new spring seats and lock rings that came with my new 13" shocks and in the nice new box.

Price is less than the pre vat and delivery price from rally design, please see link.

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product...oducts_id=5242

mainland uk post only.
Old 7th March 2014, 12:43 PM

Please see my pm.
Old 9th March 2014, 03:31 PM

Hi I just want to find out can you use that size shocks on the haynes roadster 14" open 9.5" closed
Old 9th March 2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
Hi I just want to find out can you use that size shocks on the haynes roadster 14" open 9.5" closed
People do use them. These are now sold.
Old 22nd March 2014, 03:06 PM

if you use a 13" open shock the piston postion is too high inside and all you do is top out the damper piston in the shock causing it to fail! (hammering the damper fully extended untill it pulls the thread out) this is why the inch extension was added as a revision, to lower the pistons running postion in the shock.
people already using the 13" shocks just had to modify or replace the top mount by adding an extra inch to it, not buy 4 new ones.

so what you end up with is a 14 open 10 closed damper but this is a non standerd coilover size and the closest one is a 14 open 9.5 closed that is the same effective length eye to eye open and only half inch longer fully compressed (closed) than you had orignaly

i have been running mine on some very bumpy devon roads for the last 1500 miles and i have had no topping or bottoming issues with a 4" ride hight
Old 22nd March 2014, 05:21 PM

That's some good info and what would be the best spring rate for the 14" open and 9.5"closed be?
Old 22nd March 2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz-r View Post
if you use a 13" open shock the piston postion is too high inside and all you do is top out the damper piston in the shock causing it to fail! (hammering the damper fully extended untill it pulls the thread out) this is why the inch extension was added as a revision, to lower the pistons running postion in the shock.
people already using the 13" shocks just had to modify or replace the top mount by adding an extra inch to it, not buy 4 new ones.

so what you end up with is a 14 open 10 closed damper but this is a non standerd coilover size and the closest one is a 14 open 9.5 closed that is the same effective length eye to eye open and only half inch longer fully compressed (closed) than you had orignaly

i have been running mine on some very bumpy devon roads for the last 1500 miles and i have had no topping or bottoming issues with a 4" ride hight
That maybe true for a ford based front suspension, but Saturn mx5 wishbones don't have quite the same design. Basically the shock mount brackets on the wishbone are closer to the chassis shock mount than on a ford based car.
Old 22nd March 2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
That's some good info and what would be the best spring rate for the 14" open and 9.5"closed be?
that depends how heavy your car is