Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th February 2010, 09:11 PM

After a quick browse of google and talking to people on the MIG welding forum, i've decided to go for CDS tubing for the roll bar supports and cross member, due to the fact that scaffolding tube deforms in a much different way to CDS, scaffolding is much more brittle and hasnt been designed to take impact loading e.g. from rolling a car, it has been know to break instead of deform, meaning there's a high chance you could end up getting impaled by the thing which is supposed to save you.

So i'll be ringing up my local steel supplier and see what price they can give me. From looking on the net it will be around £30 for a 6m length of the stuff.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting
Old 14th February 2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatey View Post
After a quick browse of google and talking to people on the MIG welding forum, i've decided to go for CDS tubing for the roll bar supports and cross member, due to the fact that scaffolding tube deforms in a much different way to CDS, scaffolding is much more brittle and hasnt been designed to take impact loading e.g. from rolling a car, it has been know to break instead of deform, meaning there's a high chance you could end up getting impaled by the thing which is supposed to save you.

So i'll be ringing up my local steel supplier and see what price they can give me. From looking on the net it will be around £30 for a 6m length of the stuff.
Where did you get the price for the tube?
Old 14th February 2010, 09:40 PM

A thread from the MIG welding forum, although that was a few year ago so im guessing it's massively increased in price by now....

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Old 14th February 2010, 09:44 PM

Looks like it is still around that price:

http://www.metals4u.co.uk/products.a...di4wod kVZ_Xw

Metals4u seem to be a really expensive place to buy steel from as well, as they charge £15 per 6m of 25x25 16swg, i can get it for £8 per 6m from my local steel supplier.

Old 15th February 2010, 06:11 PM

Looks like I have a bit of an issue, my roll bar isn't tall enough . I guess thats the problem with being 6'6" eh....

I sit about 880mm from my arse to the top of my head. From the top of the build table to the top of the roll bar is 950mm, but then you need to take into consideration that theres the bottom rail which on top of that, which is 25mm, the seat supports + runners + the seat on top of that, I'd also be wearing a helmet and if i were to roll the car then i would be hanging from the harness.

So the question is....how much will a full cage set me back? . I was planning on going for a full cage after i finished the roadster, but it turns out that the CDS tube i'd be buying to support the roll bar will cost me £60.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Old 15th February 2010, 07:10 PM

Spud is taller than you and he fits ok ( I think ) use 40x 3mm flat to the floor and bend 25 mm either side of the floor and weld to chassis rails for seat mountings,that way you only loose 3mm other than that I am at a loss to suggest anything else.
Old 15th February 2010, 07:20 PM

Spud has an extra tall roll bar . I got a quote back from caged saying it would be £400 + vat for roll cage, which to me seems like a very reasonable price. Slimtater has suggested I get in contact with Martin at MK engineering as he made the roll cage for his car, I am just waiting for a reply from him now.

Old 15th February 2010, 07:24 PM

Solves that problem Mr Tate.
Old 15th February 2010, 07:27 PM

Solves that problem, but I'm always going to be wanting a full cage, so why postpone the inevitable . It will only be an extra £350ish once I have sold my current roll bar as I wont be needing to spend the extra £60 on CDS tube.

Old 15th February 2010, 07:31 PM

Read the IVA manual I think there is reference to cages,it may pay you to get it tested prior to fitting the cage and send someone shorter than you with it .