Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd August 2009, 05:40 PM

Default Sierra Front Hubs for Sale

I have a pair or Ford Sierra XR4x4 hubs for sale. I guess £55 plus postage at £14.99

Hope it useful to someone to who does not fancy stripping down a car.
Old 22nd August 2009, 07:37 PM

The 4x4 front hubs are a bit different from Std. Sierra hubs, I think.

I asked the question on Locostbuilders a while ago when I was contemplating a 4x4 cossie donor (after a session in the pub!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locostbuilders
4x4 front uprights are very different to 2WD ones. They require a bigger diameter 'mushroom' insert (MK custom made me a pair) and a pinch bolt lower bj rather than the taper maxi one 2WD locosters use. Hard to source a suitable load-bearing joint to fit this if you want to keep a standard shock arrangement which loads the bottom bj. Dax's solution is a custom made joint for them (you can buy but pricey), my solution was to go rocking-arm inboard which makes the top joint the loaded one. Then I could use a standard non-load-bearing bottom joint (fiesta I think).

If you're using a cossie donor, the front uprights are different again to XR4x4 stuff - the top strut mount is further inwards (so the cossie could run wider wheels without hitting the struts). This means your top wishbone has to be shorter.
Not trying to cause a ruck, and if I'm wrong then I apologise in advance

Sean
Old 22nd August 2009, 08:29 PM

I thought this as well, so I purchase a new set from RD for 100 squid. I was undertaking a bit of a clean up in the workshop today so decided to strip of the brake discs and push in driveshafts from them. Yes, they are different because they have a spline on the hub bearing. However all you need is a circular cap to stop the dirt getting in. Apart from that its the same casting.

I am happy to ream out the uprights to fit the bottom ball joint and rs2000 track rod end.

I could also make some basic aluminium centre strut plugs as per my build for a small cost to cover material etc if it helps anyone who would like them.

Last edited by Spikehaus : 22nd August 2009 at 08:50 PM.