Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th September 2010, 09:37 PM

I used a clarke 14" abrasive cut off saw which i had from a previous job, 4.5" angle grinder, metal protractor and a tip ex pen. worked a treat, all angles measured were cut spot on. the cut off saw was a luxury as was only really used to speed up cutting to length, and the 45 and 90 degree angles. a 4.5" grinder will do everything you require on this and can be purchased cheaply. Good luck!
Old 14th September 2010, 09:44 PM

forgot to add this, It's worth bearing in mind that in a pre cut pack if you balls the welding up and have to remove a member chances are that when you come to welding it back in you may discover that its too short! then you'll have to muck about trying to find a little bit of steel to replace said part, as buying a 6m length for 200mm would be rather annoying
Old 14th September 2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifix View Post
forgot to add this, It's worth bearing in mind that in a pre cut pack if you balls the welding up and have to remove a member chances are that when you come to welding it back in you may discover that its too short! then you'll have to muck about trying to find a little bit of steel to replace said part, as buying a 6m length for 200mm would be rather annoying
I,ve followed this thread & agree with you all of the ways that a kit can be cut etc, I,m the first person to support anyone who wishes to cut their own chassis, I try to help "Any" builder....

But with the above quote... I,d like to beg to differ.....

My chassis kits INCLUDE a spare length of steel cut to the longest length of each box tube size used in the chassis, so that if a builder makes a mistake they have the steel available to re cut a new section,
plus if a builder needs more steel to be supplied due to running out of "Spare steel", if the kit was purchased from me then they just need to get in touch & i,ll supply the offending part , ready cut for just the cost of postage.

I never try to "hard sell " my kits but like to offer full support to anyone who decides to go the flat pack pre cut route

cheers
andy
Old 14th September 2010, 10:00 PM

Well you can't beat that service

CSF £857.19

Twins Roadster
Old 14th September 2010, 10:10 PM

Sorry! was not aware of this, when i began building i didn't even know there was a flatpack kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
I,ve followed this thread & agree with you all of the ways that a kit can be cut etc, I,m the first person to support anyone who wishes to cut their own chassis, I try to help "Any" builder....

But with the above quote... I,d like to beg to differ.....

My chassis kits INCLUDE a spare length of steel cut to the longest length of each box tube size used in the chassis, so that if a builder makes a mistake they have the steel available to re cut a new section,
plus if a builder needs more steel to be supplied due to running out of "Spare steel", if the kit was purchased from me then they just need to get in touch & i,ll supply the offending part , ready cut for just the cost of postage.

I never try to "hard sell " my kits but like to offer full support to anyone who decides to go the flat pack pre cut route

cheers
andy
Old 14th September 2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifix View Post
Sorry! was not aware of this, when i began building i didn't even know there was a flatpack kit.
No problem ,

I just didn,t want to give the wrong impression that buying a pre cut kit from me meant the builder was stuck in the scenario you mention

Twin.... thanks for your kind words

cheers
andy