Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th September 2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArf View Post
When I started as an apprentice I was told to stand with legs slightly apart and to be as comfortable as possible and to point my fore finger along the backbone of the hacksaw. The secret is having the job level and your vice at the right hight for yourself. Another little tip is if your left handed us the left hand side of the vice and if your right handed use the right hand side so that when you cut through if your hand shoots forward you dont take the skin off your knuckles, that hurts!!!!!!!!!
Whenever I've been given advice about anything in the past I find there's always at least one instruction I forget: let's hope it's not the knuckles bit

Thanks Arf.

Jonte.
Old 17th September 2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
That's my personal choice of blade ( 18 TPI ) for the general cutting of this type of material

All of the angled cuts on my chassis were done with my trusty hacksaw, hard work but a lot less time consuming than constantly changing the cutting angle on the bandsaw.

Mind you, if I took some time to do some mods to the badsaws angle adjustment bolts & worked out a methodical cutting plan, life could have been a lot easier for me
Thanks Bonzo.

Looks like 18 TPI is the way to go until that lottery win

Jonte
Old 18th September 2010, 01:18 AM

Enochs advice is bang on,
Also it takes less than 30 seconds to cut through 25x25x1.6 so dont waste you money on any fancy saws,a hacksaw is the best way to go about it.
Nothing wrong with being 1mm over in length and tidying it up.
WARNING pushing hard on a blunt blade will cause it to break and spear off broken bits at your face so safety glasses always with a hacksaw'
Finally you young studs,stop being so soft,30/40 years ago I often cut 3/4.and 1 inch steel with a hacksaw and thought nothing of it.David
Old 18th September 2010, 10:23 AM

another little tip is to place your index finger on the side of the top of the hacksaw when cutting, so you are effectively pointing along the line you are cutting. Its something thats taught when shooting, but its basically something to do with eye hand coordination. Sounds daft but it does work!
Old 18th September 2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE HIGH View Post
Enochs advice is bang on,
Also it takes less than 30 seconds to cut through 25x25x1.6 so dont waste you money on any fancy saws,a hacksaw is the best way to go about it.
Nothing wrong with being 1mm over in length and tidying it up.
WARNING pushing hard on a blunt blade will cause it to break and spear off broken bits at your face so safety glasses always with a hacksaw'
Finally you young studs,stop being so soft,30/40 years ago I often cut 3/4.and 1 inch steel with a hacksaw and thought nothing of it.David
Thanks Ace - But remember, you're all made of far better stuff over there - just take a look at the All Blacks !!
Old 18th September 2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shh120m View Post
another little tip is to place your index finger on the side of the top of the hacksaw when cutting, so you are effectively pointing along the line you are cutting. Its something thats taught when shooting, but its basically something to do with eye hand coordination. Sounds daft but it does work!
Thanks for replying, shh120 - this was also suggested by The Arf and I recall seeing this method used by a shipwright on a Discovery programme a couple of years ago - ecept of course he was cutting wood - now there's an idea
Old 18th September 2010, 04:17 PM

sorry mate, i didnt read sll the replies, my bad
Old 18th September 2010, 04:43 PM

and the all whites soccer team!!!!
And thanks for the tip shh20,which goes to show that we all learn from these forums,never tried the index finger tip re sawing but never to old to learn.David
Plus next time I am up north I have to face a high noon shoot off with slug guns (against targets!) against my new son in law and his Dad for a bottle of Tequila so will try that tip.I am "sort of" the defending champ but only because they still havent leaned to adjust their sites!!David
Old 18th September 2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shh120m View Post
sorry mate, i didnt read sll the replies, my bad
No probs shh120 - I only remembered because I'm determined to take it all in - gotta build this!!!
Old 18th September 2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE HIGH View Post
and the all whites soccer team!!!!
And thanks for the tip shh20,which goes to show that we all learn from these forums,never tried the index finger tip re sawing but never to old to learn.David
Plus next time I am up north I have to face a high noon shoot off with slug guns (against targets!) against my new son in law and his Dad for a bottle of Tequila so will try that tip.I am "sort of" the defending champ but only because they still havent leaned to adjust their sites!!David
Of course; how could I possibly have forgotten the All Whites !!!!!

Good luck with the aim

Jonte