Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th September 2010, 01:52 PM

Default Cutting steel for the Chassis

Just having seen that Twin got all his steel for £70 quid I am starting to think that I should cut my own, - I had originally intended to buy one of the pre-cut kits.

I don't currently have any thing more than hand saws and a jig saw at home so need to weigh up the cost of potential new cutting machine(of some kind) in relation to the saving made in buying my own steel and cutting myself.

It would be nice to say I have built the car all myself - but the idea of buying a precut kit also is quite appealing.

I was wondering what folk have used to accurately cut the steel for their chassis ?
Old 10th September 2010, 02:03 PM

You can do it with angle grinder, its noisey and takes a while, I bought a rage saw that cuts metal quite well that sped things up a bit. Think my steel cost just over £100 the first time round the saw was about £70 plus some other consumables, you not far off a kit from talon or handy.
The second time round I bought the pre cut kit, partly becuase i like my ears to work and secondly I thought the neighbours would go mad, I fond I couldn't cut anythign in the evenings so had to wait for weekends.

Its only a small cheat!
Old 10th September 2010, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.204-0143.aspx

The "Rage" range is a lot more expensive than the "Fury" range from evolution. Even then the "Fury" is £100. it will cut up to 3mm mild steel.

Somone got some free blads out of doing a chassis from evo.

http://www.evolutionpowertools.co.uk...a_hussain.html

Personaly, the cost of the steel + equipment + time + risk to health + annoyance to neighbours + having 6 7.5M tubes to sort quickly + others quantifiables. added up to me not seeing self cut as a better idea than a flat pack.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 10th September 2010, 03:43 PM

I am more or less with MikeB on this one.

So many variables to give an exact answer

Have you priced the steel at your own local stockists ? , was thinking about building another chassis for my own build last year ( Not happy that my chassis had become rusty because of a long period of illness )
I was quoted £155.14p inc vat, Febuary last year & know that prices have increased a fair bit since then.
That was just for the square tube alone but it did include £10 for delivery !!

As for cutting, a simple hacksaw fitted with a good quality blade will get the job done, going to be slow going & quite hard work.

If you are going to start laying out on the likes of bandsaws or compound mitre saws, then it is a bit of a no brainer really, may just as well go the flat pack route ( Unless you have future plans for them ) .

No idea of your background ( Engineering wise ) If you are not used to working with metal it may be a golden chance to learn some new metalworking skills

Having worked with all things metal for over 40 years the novelty of cutting steel has long since worn off, I now view this as an evil task that needs to be done before I can start doing the fun stuff
That said, I can still see the attraction & sense of achivement it will give to the novice.

My own chassis was square cut in the bandsaw & all of the angles were cut with my trusty hacksaw & lightly fettled with a flap disc in the grinder.
Could have cut most of the angles on my bandsaw but found out that by the time I had adjusted the cut angle, it was just a quick to use the hacksaw !!

Flat pack was not an option when I started my build over 3 years ago, I had no choice.
If I had to build another chassis it would be flat pack for sure .... It will save so many quality, sometimes precious build hours & removes the constant double checking, have I cut this right, why is this wrong, not to mention the potential heartache of cutting the compound mitres

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 10th September 2010, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtipping View Post
Just having seen that Twin
It would be nice to say I have built the car all myself - but the idea of buying a precut kit also is quite appealing.
The chassis is just a component of the build.

You won't be building the engein from scratch, or the steering wheel, or the brakes. It's possible to do it if you realy wanted to though and have a car you totaly built yourself.

The time saved from doing the steel cutting could go into the manufacture of ali pannels rather than glass ones, which can save a few hundred pounds!! and will probably be more satisfying as it's on show.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 10th September 2010, 05:54 PM

As all above have mentioned, there are alot of points to consider whether to cut your own or a kit pack........BUT

which ever route you take you will enjoy the building of the chassis, & know that the forum is always there to assist if you come across a "hiccup", I found that getting the chassis into a 3D item really is a most satisfying part of the build, it sort of "comes to life"

Whichever route you take, may I wish you all the best for your build, its great to have another Roadster being created

cheers
andy
Old 13th September 2010, 10:24 PM

just my two pennies worth...

I bought my steel in 7.5 metre legnths and i cut them as i need them.
I worked out that i could buy a nice rage mitre saw and bits and bobs such as hacksaw blades and grinder discs for the same price as a precut kit.
I decided to go down this root because i really didnt want to make an error in my measurements ( im more of a blacksmith than an engineer ) and end up with a piece of steel that was say 1.5mm short and have no steel left to remake a tube(although i have been known to bridge gaps with weld, not reconmended ).

With regards to cutting i have cut most of my tubes with a hacksaw and iv only used the rage once and that was for the evil 74 degree cuts on the bottom of the frame and the compound mitres on the front frame. I could have done these with the hacksaw anyway so i suppose iv wasted a £120 on the chopsaw.

The precut kits available from a couple of guys on here are well renowned for being spot on. I suppose if i had known how long it takes to cut the tubing and how knackered i am from hacksawing i might have bought one, but i feel i have accomplished a great deal from turning a few legnths of scrap into a sportscar chassis.

So in the end cost wise it doesnt matter wether you go for a a precut kit or cut your own. The chassis is the most important part of your build, yet the cost of the chassis is a fraction of the cost of a fully built roadster. Going with a precut kit will save you a lot of time, wheras cutting your own steel will take more time, but you could use the savings for other bits, but you may end up with carpul tunnel syndrome like me!!!

hope this helps

nathan

Last edited by shh120m : 13th September 2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 13th September 2010, 10:43 PM

I got my steel at cost, due to my mate being in the trade

I was set to get a flat pack but my lad wants driving lessons & a car

CSF £857.19

Twins Roadster
Old 14th September 2010, 07:08 PM

When I purchased my steel it came in at £118. I decided to go down this route as I already had a Rage3 chop saw that I bought to build a deck 2 years ago, so I didn't need to factorin the cost of it. Must admit though provided you don't try to force it it cuts it well, but is limited to 45 deg cuts so anything over and above its' get the hacksaw out.

Last edited by TheArf : 6th November 2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 14th September 2010, 08:17 PM

I also have the Evolution Rage3 compound mitre saw, and the reason I bought it was that it would be very useful for all manner of DIY jobs after the chassis was finished. Just like Arf using his for a deck first and chassis later.

A metal cutting bandsaw is just that, but the versatility of the rage tool is what made my mind up.

I've cut loads of 3mm plate on it with no problems, and it has enough reach to cut my side panels too.

And here's all my build photo's on a picasa web album http://tinyurl.com/5tbtm46