Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd October 2010, 08:17 PM

Default Wasted day

Well the rugby was called off today so had the afternoon in the garage, and have just realised have dropped a clanger. Cut the diagonals D1,D2,D3 and D4 and, as those of you that have done these will know, that the compound mitres are a pain and especially if you dont read the book properly. This prat has cut it out of 25mm box and not 19mm. So now have to start all over again Grrrr.....................................
Old 3rd October 2010, 08:23 PM

You don,t HAVE to change them to 19mm box, just "fettle" the point where D1 & D2 meet U1 & U2

it won,t cause a problem to your chassis by using 25mm box for these parts.

cheers
andy
Old 3rd October 2010, 08:35 PM

So would you line up to the outer edge of TR1 & U1 TR2 & U2. Just annoyed with myself for not reading the book properly.
Old 3rd October 2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArf View Post
So would you line up to the outer edge of TR1 & U1 TR2 & U2.
Yes thats the way to mate the 3 parts together ,

just don,t have any part of D1 or D2 protruding "outside" of the TR rails where they meet under TR1 & TR2......as when you come to put your side panels on there is only a couple of mm clearance at that point, hope that makes sense.

Don,t beat yourself up , I,m sure we,ve all done things by mistake during our builds & got annoyed etc, but its your car & as long as its accurate & structurally sound the odd little mishap isn,t the end of the world

cheers
andy

Last edited by HandyAndy : 3rd October 2010 at 09:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 3rd October 2010, 08:54 PM

Thanks for that Andy, by the way it was great meeting you at Stafford and looking over your car, and I think your idea of using the rotary engine, hope it all comes together soon
Old 3rd October 2010, 08:59 PM

If it's any consolation, you are not the only one. I have spent most of this week trying to make my cycle wing brackets. I think I am on version 5 now. I think these ones are right, the last ones got canned because when I fitted the side repeater in to the wing it hit the top of the tyre. I did not even think of the repeater and had the brackets fully painted. I have now made them so the wing is raised another 3/4 inch and it looks about right now. These bloody cars will drive you mad if you let them.
Keep smiling,
Enoch
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArf View Post
Thanks for that Andy, by the way it was great meeting you at Stafford and looking over your car, and I think your idea of using the rotary engine, hope it all comes together soon
No prob

, Sorry, but we didn,t meet at Stafford, sadly, I had family things to take care of that weekend & couldn,t make it, you met the tall Andy( Spud ), I,m the short Andy .

The Rotary engined Roadster will be an amazing car , Spud & Adam have really put some great work into it, its always been an ambition of Spud,s as he used to own an RX8 & thinks its a fantastic engine.

cheers
andy ( shorty )
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:18 PM

Sorry my mistake, at least I will now be able to tell which is which of the Andys'. Think I will leave it as it is just annoyed with myself really as I have not got enough 25mm for the rear suspension and have too much 19mm as my steel supplier cocked up the order and delivered too much, as in twice as much as neede but at no extra cost and I havn't told him ha ha