Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th March 2018, 12:43 PM

Default Fuel tank

Hi guys

Can anyone tell me if this fuel tank will be ok for my sierra based build? Outlet/inlet wise

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kit-Car-Fue...54?_mwBanner=1

Cheers Will
Old 7th March 2018, 01:40 PM

Hi Will

So it has fuel out and a return will you put breather in filler neck?, Also are you going with fuel injection as I'd imagine a separate swirl pot would be required.

Gary

Ps tank looks very wide
Old 7th March 2018, 03:26 PM

Pm k4kev on the forum here he was making them before
Old 7th March 2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyout View Post
tank looks very wide
Yeah - i don't have the 'old Book' to hand - but I am sure I have seen tanks like that described as for the Locost rather than the Haynes?

To be fair - the dimensions are there in the listing so you can mock it up from cardboard then see if it'll fit in your chassis?

EDIT: sorry your OP talks about inlet/outlet - I would be inclined to mock it up then look at where you are likely to have to run the fuel line and whether it looks awkward. I would think almost any outlet point could be could be made to work though....

Last edited by jps : 7th March 2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 9th March 2018, 04:23 PM

Distance between D13 tubes is 627mm, so this tank will fit your Roadster.
As said above, it has a filler neck, a fuel out and a return, so that is the minimum. But it does not have an integrated swirl pot, so you will need a separated one if you go for fuel injection.

BUT, dimensions are small IMHO, the volume is only 21 litres. Even smaller than the one from the book (24 litres IIRC)!

I have a 34 litres tank from K4KEV (bigger volume than the one from the book, because he makes it taller). With my old 2.0i DOHC engine and a "sporty" driving (high rev, etc.), I consume about 12L/100km, so I barely make more than 250km with a full tank, in spite of its extended volume. Which means that with a 21 litres tank as the one you consider buying, I would have to go to the gas station every 150km, so I'm happy with a bigger tank

So, as said above, try to contact K4KEV on this forum. If you want, I can send you his personal email address by PM, just ask. I hope he is still doing fuel tanks though.

I got my fuel tank from him. IIRC, price was about £130 for this 34 litres tank, so pretty cheap. But it was 5 years ago... Kevin does a great work, the tank is baffled, it has an integrated swirl pot at the bottom, a filler neck, 2 in's on top (return, anti-roll valve, etc.), 1 out at the bottom (on the swirl pot). I have fuel injection, and I don't have an extra swirl pot, and never had fuel starvation problems with this tank. I asked him to put the filler neck and in's on the left side as I have a LHD Roadster.

Pictures of my tank on this page:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/994983...57693542440684

Hope that will help
Old 9th March 2018, 05:15 PM

I am helping a friend with his roadster build and contacted Kev a few weeks ago about another tank. He said that at the moment he was out of ally and gas and was not doing a tank but may in the future. If you do contact him remind him about my request, two tanks may just persuade him to do some more. I have one like Sylvain and it is excellent and helps me go farther than others in my local kit car club without having to stop for fuel
Old 9th March 2018, 07:12 PM

thanks for the feedback guys, i'll give him a shout