Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th October 2018, 12:39 PM

Default Welcome

Hi DavidHmx5
Welcome to the forum, are you building a Haynes locost?.
Regards Mick.
Old 17th November 2018, 12:03 PM

Sorry, just seen this.
Yes I am starting the build of an MX5 based roadster. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time but facilities, house, kids, work etc always got in the way. Well now the kids are all grown up and no longer supported by bank of mum and dad, house is paid for. The job has a twist to it. Earlier in the year I was made redundant from my 23 year IT career. Not wanting to continue in IT (too much stress) my son's boss offered me a position in his engineering company. Something I've always wanted to do but couldn't justify the salary drop.
Long story short I now have access to CNC mills, lathes, high tec welding gear, fancy CNC press long enough to fold sides, and just about any bit of engineering equipment you can think of.
Plus this little beauty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az3C...ature=youtu.be.

Plus we have space for me to build it at the factory. The stars have aligned.

Donor has been purchased although I'm having trouble bringing myself to break it. One of the cleanest MX5 mk2 I've seen.

Engine is shot but I'm picking up an engine and gearbox (Mk2 1.8) on sunday for little money.
Plan is for a pretty major build starting with engine which will be going the turbo route using Garrett GT2554 coupled with Emerald ECU. Forged rods and pistons. Sump will be a new one machined out of billet ali. Probably make all the pulleys as well.

Chassis will be built between xmas and new year as plan to use the welding table which is big enough to fit chassis on, has less than 2 thou run out and some fancy clamping options. Had plenty of practice with the welder. Must have done over a thousand welds in the last 3 weeks.

No set timescale for this project. For me it's as much about the build as the finished item.
Probably start a build thread once chassis construction is underway.

Last edited by DavidHmx5 : 17th November 2018 at 11:55 PM.
Old 20th November 2018, 10:48 AM

Welcome,
I’ll be following this build as I’ve just started my own mx5 based roadster
Ben
Old 20th November 2018, 02:04 PM

Good to see a new member popping up on here - I know your dilemna with the MX5, I bought a solid Sierra in 2013 as my donor and have regretted stripping it several times since!

Sounds great to have access to all those facilities - some of the guys on here and over on locostbuilders who have access to equipment through their work turn out some cracking pieces for their builds.