Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th February 2018, 11:40 AM

Angry Haynes roadster Facebook page

Good morning everyone, please can someone in the know accept my join request for the Facebook page ? It's been over a week now. I understand this forum is very in active, but I understand the Facebook page is active. Some of the latest threads on this forum is June 2017 ! I think it needs refreshing, maybe an administrator shaking it up a bit to keep it fresh ? I am a member on the MEV forum & Stuart Mills is always on taking care of things and posting regularly. Maybe this is why the MEV is the most successful brand, because you feel 'involved'? Either way, it's taking an age for new people to get accepted onto this forum & Facebook page, maybe because of this it's scaring people off the brand, killing the forums as a result. It is a shame really, this is the cheapest entry point into the kit car world, we should be thriving in financial tough times, not declining.
Old 11th February 2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason 82 View Post
Good morning everyone, please can someone in the know accept my join request for the Facebook page ? It's been over a week now. I understand this forum is very in active, but I understand the Facebook page is active. Some of the latest threads on this forum is June 2017 ! I think it needs refreshing, maybe an administrator shaking it up a bit to keep it fresh ? I am a member on the MEV forum & Stuart Mills is always on taking care of things and posting regularly. Maybe this is why the MEV is the most successful brand, because you feel 'involved'? Either way, it's taking an age for new people to get accepted onto this forum & Facebook page, maybe because of this it's scaring people off the brand, killing the forums as a result. It is a shame really, this is the cheapest entry point into the kit car world, we should be thriving in financial tough times, not declining.
I don't think you'll ever see a more active management of this forum - Haynes own it and won't hand it over as far as I know (not that I imagine anyone would want to take it on!) and frankly we are lucky that Haynes did not shut it down all together a while ago, as they were considering. It is a good resource and the answers to a lot of things are there if you use the search.

Chris Gibbs, who 'wrote' the Haynes Roadster book had a serious illness, perhaps he would have driven things along otherwise....
Old 12th February 2018, 11:50 PM

It's probably worth noting that Haynes no longer list the book in their catalogue, so ultimately they wouldn't receive any additional sales etc. through more advertising. I wouldn't be surprised if the discussion on pulling the forum came at the same time as the decision to remove the book from the catalogue.

I can also understand their reluctance to pass the forum over to a new owner outside of their organisation, as their actions could have a direct impact on their brand if the new owner went in a direction that they didn't agree with.

The kit car industry in the traditional sense seems to be declining. When you look to see what's available to the general punter who has £5k+ burning a hole in their pocket for a 2 seater sports car, there's a lot of choice out there. I've spent more on my Roadster (that includes stuff, tools etc. that I've bought directly because of it) than buying my mark 3 MX-5, which will do 80% of what a Roadster does but it has lots of other positives that the Roadster isn't so good at. It's something that you can drive in bad weather comfortably, you can take to the shops and not worry about people climbing in to take photos in etc. etc.

Heck, even for the cost of taking a car for IVA and registering it, you can get a reasonable mark 2 MX-5...
Old 16th February 2018, 08:10 PM

Hi there, the same goes for me as Jason, I've also applied to join the Facebook page but still waiting
Old 17th February 2018, 12:32 AM

As above, the forum and FB page are entirely separate, good luck getting responses re the forum, I have found the best route is call haynes directly and prompt them. I have messaged Barry (page admin) re the outstanding FB membership requests but please note he last posted in the group 20/8/17, he's not on my friends list but from what I can see on his timeline he last posted 6/12/17.

I get that people like to use facebook for its convenience but it makes a poor database of information and with the book having been out of print for some time and copies being harder to obtain therefore the number of builders dwindling it goes to reason that the more outlets that are trying to service the same crowd will only result in diluted information.

There are elements within Haynes just waiting to close this off and the fewer posts there are the quicker that will happen so maybe with this being the biggest catalogue of info of them all it should get the most support.
Old 17th February 2018, 01:10 PM

Non group members may not be able to see it so here you go,

haynes.JPG
Old 18th February 2018, 05:13 PM

Hi there, good news finally got accepted the end of last week
Old 6th July 2019, 05:44 PM

Hello everyone I wasn't sure if the form was still open up and running last few times in the past it's surver has been down
I opened the Facebook page along time ago and have had a few changes in circumstances in this time, also the Facebook page has been open to some unwelcome spamming and suchlike so now once you apply you need to actually answer the question with a reasonable reply to ensure to ensure that the site isn't hacked and has genuine people with genuine interest in the Haynes Roadster. I have been attempting to manage new members to the page once or twice a week :-)
Barry
Old 18th July 2019, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Barry

We had a few days of outage a few months back, but Haynes got us back up

So the forum is still going, not as active as the old days but I have seen the same across many forums and many other contact formats..

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders