Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st May 2016, 09:37 AM

Default Dave's Build (Attempt)

So
I have properly started now, the story so far, which is discussed in other threads,
  1. I got myself a part stripped donor with all the parts I needed, I then set about stripping it down, got our local travellers to come and take away the shell and sub frames so that was that.
  2. I built myself the build table, mainly to store all the donor parts under.
  3. I set about 'tinkering' while I waited for my flat pack. My half shafts where seized solid in the hubs and no matter what I did I couldn’t get them out. I decided to pop out the shafts, leaving the CV's in the hub and then used a really big hammer, that worked, just, then £40 on 2 new CV's and inner boots, a couple of coats of hammerite smooth and that’s them done. I also gave the uprights a coat of hammerite smooth, after a couple of hours with a wire brush obviously.
  4. Then ........................................ My flat pack came. Checked the parts after a couple of days and a few parts where missing but contacted Phil and he’s sending the missing parts over in the coming days.
  5. I had enough of the flat pack to start tacking it together and that is what I did last night.
  6. still have the bottom of the transmission tunnel to tack in by which time hopefully the rest of the flat pack arrives, the "U's" are some of the missing parts so can’t go much further till they arrive.
  7. I have sent all (I hope) plates that I need to the laser cutter including pedal box, wing stays, wishbone and shock brackets, roll bar plates, I think that’s it, they are ready and I will collect them next week so I will have plenty to get on with.

That’s the current stage of my build, will try to update regularly but there may be times where I don’t do much for a while. Also will not write so much next time as I know I prefer pictures to text so here they are.

Actual cost so far = Have chosen to stop counting incase I incriminate myself -
Cost ive told the wife = A hell of a lot less than I have spent. -

Last edited by Dave F : 21st May 2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 21st May 2016, 09:47 AM

and more:

Last edited by Dave F : 21st May 2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 21st May 2016, 10:13 AM

looking good, the way your chassis sits now its worth getting some block of wood across each of the chassis rails and screwing down to the table , it will stop any twisting when welding, obviously at this point you are only tacking but it will still distort, i clamped as much as i could until the whole chassis was together and its straight as a die , ive read some horors of twisting as much as 10mm out
Old 21st May 2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
looking good, the way your chassis sits now its worth getting some block of wood across each of the chassis rails and screwing down to the table , it will stop any twisting when welding, obviously at this point you are only tacking but it will still distort, i clamped as much as i could until the whole chassis was together and its straight as a die , ive read some horors of twisting as much as 10mm out
Was thinking about screwing it to the table and was wondering the best way to do it. I will get some lenghts of timber and pin it to the table.

Old 21st May 2016, 11:13 AM

I always think it's strange how small it looks from the bottom rails then as you progress it takes shape really quickly!! Don't forget to go side to side and front to back when welding to eliminate heat build up

Russ
Old 21st May 2016, 11:16 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjg1975 View Post
I always think it's strange how small it looks from the bottom rails then as you progress it takes shape really quickly.
It does look small, I was thinking will I fit as I'm 6'2" but there are loads of people my hight and taller who fit just fine so I decided I was worring over nothing and I cracked another beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjg1975 View Post
Don't forget to go side to side and front to back when welding to eliminate heat build up
I assume this is when fully welding and not just tacking? If so that's what I was planning to do so was going to research the best way when it's all tacked

Last edited by Dave F : 21st May 2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 21st May 2016, 11:36 AM

Do you still have your hard top from the MX5 if so how much would you want for it I may know someone looking for one

Arfon
Old 21st May 2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArf View Post
Do you still have your hard top from the MX5 if so how much would you want for it I may know someone looking for one

Arfon
Unfortunately I don't, the guy I bought the donor off took that and a few other panels, It cost £150 so can't complain.

Old 21st May 2016, 12:31 PM

That's a pity

Arfon
Old 21st May 2016, 01:15 PM

im over six foot as well, two things to watch for mount the seat so it can go as far back as possible and have the seat in before welding the steering column in, i built to the book and couldnt get my knees under the wheel. i fitted the scuttle and seat them moved the column about till it was comfy height wise