currently building 179 69.65%
will start build in next 3 months 46 17.90%
thinking about building 29 11.28%
thought about it but decided not to 3 1.17%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th June 2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtater View Post
Actually, would this still not be a bad idea? I know the badge issue has been talked about and there is still some debate about a name.

What if I purchase either 10 or 20 engraved plaques with the following:

Haynes Roadster (or Chris Gibbs Roadster)
Number 001 (up to 10 or 20)

They can be issued in order of either completion (SVA/IVA) or registration, at a "cost price" - just need some proof.
i think this is a great idea, tho the only down side i can see is, that in years to come will the person arranging/issuing the plaques still be within the forum/Roadster community, not saying that you wouldn,t be but who knows what happens in 1- 5- 10 yrs time, just my thoughts
i think from the current poll it,ll be a case of numbers in the 20,s
andy
Old 16th June 2009, 10:53 PM

Perhaps to keep it exclusive, we limit it to the first 20? Or if soemone moves on, we hand over the baton?
Apologies for the thread hijack!

I actually quite like:

HAYNES ROADSTER

Designed by Chris Gibbs

Number 001

Edit - number 1 for the original car
Old 16th June 2009, 11:01 PM

hey no its not hijacking the thread at all, its all about the same discussion, the number of Roadsters
yes i think its a great idea, tho maybe Chris could step up & confirm the order of completion of the current 5 cars then take it from there????? would that be fair?
other marques have a build log number tho they are kits actually issued by them but some never get completed so by obtaining a build plaque only when registered is fair to all that it is a completed road legal Roadster.

now we,ll all be rushing to finish to get a plaque

andy
Old 16th June 2009, 11:11 PM

Just remember my time from the RS Owners Club, the register kept of each marque was very helpful. Could something linked to the plaques be included in this forum? Perhaps a "completed car" section, listed in order of the plaque number, complete with a photo and brief spec. It doesn't need to have all the owner details as no doubt this could change, but it could be a database of the Roadsters.
Old 16th June 2009, 11:21 PM

having sat here thinking about this i feel that ALL completed Roadsters should get a plaque, as its a heck of an achievement to complete the build, so if an exclusive aspect is taken on say the first 10 cars maybe their plaque could be a gold colour ( i don,t mean real gold) then 11 - 20 a silver colour then onwards a brass plaque, just an idea, i,m not trying to create a one upmanship status, more a case of in the future of years to come when folk look back on the history of the marque it gives information of the car in question.
i used to belong to a register of a certain motorcycle frame maker & this helped when looking at the development thru the years of the chassis(frame).

Slimtater.... i think the "log" of completed cars is a good idea, basically year completed & perhaps the builders name & plaque number.

what are other peoples views? after all this is a forum to all to have input on the passion we all enjoy.

cheers
andy
Old 16th June 2009, 11:21 PM
Chris Gibbs

Well the protoype was definately the first, then Slim's.

Frankie was next.

spud and Dave Dogwood will have to fight it out 'cos I can't remember!

(Actually I think Spud finished first )

I think it's only fair if this comes to anything we need to acknowledge Martin (Keenan) as co-designer.

Cheers

Chris
Old 16th June 2009, 11:27 PM

Well I am willing to stump up for the initial cost of the plaques, and quite like the idea of the first 10 being gold, followed by silver for the rest - that seems to be fairly easy in terms of cost etc.

HAYNES ROADSTER

Design by Chris Gibbs & Martin Keenan

Build number 001

On a plaque about 2" by 1" unless bigger is better? Already found a potential supplier.
Old 16th June 2009, 11:29 PM

Sounds like a brilliant idea to me. Where would the plaque be mounted?
Old 16th June 2009, 11:36 PM

ok, even tho this is a forum & not a "membership club" how about someone be assigned as Marque Historian who can then keep a forum accepted database of cars completed ??? would anyone have an issue with this?

there is one draw back that i can forsee.....
maybe not all builders of the Roadster become members of this forum so the database may not give true figures of cars completed but only completed cars that the forum is aware of, after all the book is sold throughout the world & not everyone would join this forum, just me being aware of possible pit falls.
but am sure something could be done within the forum ????

i know one thing is for sure, when mines completed i won,t ever sell it, got 2 sons that,ll one day have it to enjoy

andy
Old 16th June 2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
I have my plaque on order off ebay, called a VIN Plate.

A register of cars seems a good idea, not sure on the plaque idea as in years to come when calls get sold on will new owners want to know who built it, or would they advertise it as not their own? I guess these cars are never finished, in that there are always new engines to fit, styling changes etc.

Adrian
Accepted, but given the likely cost (< £5) for a small discreet plaque, and the fact that it just marks the achievement of the car being registered, then it can't do any harm? Not suggesting the indiviudal builders name, just the marque, designer and completion number.
I am willing to do this on behalf of the forum if there are enough wanting it.