Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th April 2017, 06:45 PM

That looks superb. I hope mine ends up looking as well finished.
Old 1st July 2018, 08:02 PM

Hi Guys,
Another year has past and is still not quite finished. But saying that, the car only needs 2 small jobs done on trimming.
I will be posting off my IVA forms at the end of the week, would be nice if I can an IVA pass by 29 September as I will be 9 years building the car by then.

The car is due back from a rolling road tune on Monday, the tuner has recommend I upgrade the twin weber 40's to 45's after the IVA to go from 122bhp to approx. 150/160 bhp
Old 1st July 2018, 09:34 PM

I am surprised to find my self saying this. I built mine with a 1.6 Mazda engine - about 115bhp. My intention was to change to a 1.8 after IVA which would give me 146 bhp in standard trim. BUT . I am not going to do it. In normal road use 115 is good - and - it gives more grip than power. Increase power and you have to throttle back to get grip. I don't have that issue. Full throttle in any gear and it just goes. Ok not maybe at top end but for everyday use its brilliant!
For the little extra power do you need the extra expense of 45's?
Your decision
Old 4th July 2018, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

What happened regarding emissions standards at IVA?

was it all just someone misreading the new proposals?

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 4th July 2018, 08:36 PM

This is the reply a had from, Approvals.Technical@dvsa.gov.uk

Good Afternoon Terry,

Many thanks for your email inquiry,

Evidence of the date of manufacture of the engine will be required at the time of inspection to determine the emissions limits for the vehicle. The donor vehicle registration document (V5) may be acceptable evidence, where it indicates the engine to be the original engine fitted to the donor
vehicle.

Alternatively the proof can be:
a letter from the engine manufacturer
a letter from a recognised authority (such as an engine or vehicle manufacturer).
Evidence from a technical publication/manual.

You need to follow the flow charts in section 02B of the IVA M1 inspection manual to find the exact emission limits which for example shows that a vehicle with an engine ‘effective date’ of 1991 would be CO<= 3.5% and HC <=1200ppm.

IVA M1 inspection manual:https://www.gov.uk/government/public...le-category-m1

I hope you found this information useful but if I can be of further assistance then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Tony Selwood Approvals Technical Engineer
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency | Ellipse, Padley Road, Swansea, SA1 8AN Office: 0300 123 9000 | F : 01792 454214 | E : approvals.technical@dvsa.gov.uk

Any advice provided in this communication is the view of DVSA and is not intended to be an interpretation of the law; only a court of law is able to give a legal, definitive interpretation.

Incorporating the Driving Standards Agency and Vehicle and Operator Services Agency.

Find out more about government services at https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...andards-agency