Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #791  
Old 21st February 2014, 03:28 PM
james3004's Avatar
james3004 james3004 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Haddenham, Cambridge
Posts: 479
Default

So you'll be test driving by Saturday lunch time
__________________
--- James ---

IVA passed 20 June 2017
Flickr Album
Reply With Quote
  #792  
Old 21st February 2014, 04:17 PM
skov's Avatar
skov skov is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St Ives, Cambridge
Posts: 1,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3004 View Post
So you'll be test driving by Saturday lunch time
Yes.

But not this Saturday.
Reply With Quote
  #793  
Old 8th March 2014, 12:20 PM
skov's Avatar
skov skov is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St Ives, Cambridge
Posts: 1,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3004 View Post
So you'll be test driving by Saturday lunch time
Only two weeks late - just had a cheeky test drive up and down my street

Engine is back in and running now. Took me a while to get it started until I realised I had my spark plug leads in the wrong order Once that was sorted it burst into life
Had it running for twenty minutes or so and got it up to temp. Haven't spotted any leaks or heard any nasty noises, so hopefully I should be back on the road shortly!

Decided to hold off on the turbo for now and wait until I've got my little engine management project up and running.
Ordered a small batch of prototype PCBs for it this week and looking forward to having a play with them
Reply With Quote
  #794  
Old 8th March 2014, 07:32 PM
CTWV50's Avatar
CTWV50 CTWV50 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skov View Post
Only two weeks late - just had a cheeky test drive up and down my street

Engine is back in and running now. Took me a while to get it started until I realised I had my spark plug leads in the wrong order Once that was sorted it burst into life
Had it running for twenty minutes or so and got it up to temp. Haven't spotted any leaks or heard any nasty noises, so hopefully I should be back on the road shortly!

Decided to hold off on the turbo for now and wait until I've got my little engine management project up and running.
Ordered a small batch of prototype PCBs for it this week and looking forward to having a play with them
I reached a major milestone today! I changed my gearbox and engine oil! Well done getting it back on the road so quick! Just in time for spring!
Reply With Quote
  #795  
Old 8th March 2014, 08:48 PM
skov's Avatar
skov skov is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St Ives, Cambridge
Posts: 1,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post
I reached a major milestone today! I changed my gearbox and engine oil! Well done getting it back on the road so quick! Just in time for spring!
Cheers Chris. Would have been quicker if I didn't have to wait an eternity for the parts!
Well done on your major achievement
Reply With Quote
  #796  
Old 24th March 2014, 10:19 AM
skov's Avatar
skov skov is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St Ives, Cambridge
Posts: 1,085
Default

Some goodies in the post this morning

Reply With Quote
  #797  
Old 24th March 2014, 08:24 PM
CTWV50's Avatar
CTWV50 CTWV50 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skov View Post
Some goodies in the post this morning

Did you make them or order them? Have you got a machine at work to solder the components on?
Reply With Quote
  #798  
Old 24th March 2014, 11:16 PM
skov's Avatar
skov skov is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St Ives, Cambridge
Posts: 1,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post
Did you make them or order them? Have you got a machine at work to solder the components on?
I got the boards from OSH Park. They took a while to arrive (from the US), but they look really good and were surprisingly cheap.

Machinary to solder the parts on? Nah, just a normal soldering iron and pair of tweezers
Reply With Quote
  #799  
Old 24th March 2014, 11:20 PM
CTWV50's Avatar
CTWV50 CTWV50 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skov View Post
Machinary to solder the parts on? Nah, just a normal soldering iron and pair of tweezers
Wow! I'd be cross eyed doing that! I replace dc sockets on laptops as part of my job and have removed and replaced bios and 8 pin SIOC chips but no, I couldn't manage that! Hats off to you!
Reply With Quote
  #800  
Old 24th March 2014, 11:49 PM
skov's Avatar
skov skov is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St Ives, Cambridge
Posts: 1,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post
Wow! I'd be cross eyed doing that! I replace dc sockets on laptops as part of my job and have removed and replaced bios and 8 pin SIOC chips but no, I couldn't manage that! Hats off to you!
There's nothing much harder than an SO8 on that board to be fair.
The trick is to use plenty of flux and have some solder wick handy to fix any mistakes.
For the really fine pitched devices you just need to tack down the corners, then get some solder on the end of your iron and sort of brush it along the legs of the chip. The flux makes the solder flow to where it needs to go.
I suspect wasting my youth painting warhammer figures probably helps though
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.