Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th May 2013, 09:55 PM

Well done on all counts Simon especially the degree,well worth the effort.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 30th May 2013, 10:07 PM

Bob, the F/G and aluminium is all getting vinyl wrapped gloss red, you can see I have already done the scuttle and one of the rear arches. I will be giving my nose cone, bonnet and other rear arch to a professional wrapper to do as it is a real pain in the backside and I don't have the skills to do it to the standard I want.

Thanks very much flyerncle, it'll be a proud day when I collect my scroll in July.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting
Old 1st June 2013, 11:36 AM

It's a good feeling Simon,been to two at city hall with the daughter and the dragon,both got degree's.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 3rd June 2013, 10:53 AM

Well I thought it was time for some more pictures, however I've found that the jobs I'm doing don't take very interesting photos.

But I have now finished modifying my wing stays (in other words bodge until they fit correctly...), I think the wing stays I purchased off of ebay were for a different sized wheel and wing, meaning that they have required a bit of cutting and shutting to make them fit correctly. So my plan for the future is to possible make some fancy carbon fibres ones that will be made to measure, but that will be a winter mod after the car is on the road. They have now been primed and painted and will be fitted to the car later on so I can sikaflex my wings to them and then fibreglass them on top of that to ensure they don't come off during use.

I've managed to do a few other odd jobs like ensuring my hydraulic brake sensor is fitted correctly to my t-piece, this required cutting down the threaded section of the sensor to allow a copper washer to be used to allow adequate sealing, I still need to test the system with some brake fluid to make sure I have no leaks, but before I do that I need to create a new bracket for the rear brake line t-piece as at the moment it is not as far as I can tell IVA friendly as the t-piece is supported by the three brake lines, not the other way around. I can provide a picture if people are unsure what I mean.

I've also discovered that I have issues trying to tighten my headlight nuts, meaning I have a droopy headlight at the minute, it appears that it is the equivalent of a 21.5mm across flats nut (whatever that is?) but the headlight brackets don't allow me enough space to get a spanner in there, any tips would be appreciated as my car looks a bit 'special' with its one droopy eye... You can also see the indicators I have fitted which will need extensions made for them to pass IVA.

My non-adhesive self amalgamating loom tape arrived on Saturday so I have now taped up the column switch cables which has made it a lot tidier.

Finally I have put in a 90° elbow to remove a kink in my brake hose, I just need to buy some hose clamps to secure everything.

I have also got my aluminium battery tray and rear view mirror arriving today so hopefully by tonight I will have fitted those as well as my wings.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Last edited by Tatey : 3rd June 2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 7th June 2013, 07:14 PM

Well my battery tray arrived which give me the issue of where to mount it and the best solution I came up with since I have installed a foot rest in my passenger footwell was to move my header tank to the front of the car under the nose cone and mount the battery tray on the bulkhead which seems to have worked well. It has actually reduced the complexity of my cooling circuit and has made it a neater install.

I've also installed my rear view mirror which is near to useless (could really do with a convex mirror) but should hopefully get me through IVA.

My carbon aeroscreen still needs a lot of work doing to it and I am still undecided if I will be vinyl wrapping it or not as it is pretty poor quality with looks of imperfections. I will see how I feel about it when it is fixed in place and with some edge trim.

I have also sikaflexed and fibreglassed my cycle wings to the wing stays and once the epoxy cures I will put them back on and then the wings just need a polish and some edge trim and they will be complete.

My next job is to finish off the cooling system, I am just trying to locate all of the bits I require. I also need some more dremel accessories to aid me in finishing my aeroscreen.

Old 7th June 2013, 09:16 PM

Hi Tatey,
Do you have a better picture of the headlight problem from underneath?
By what you are saying I'm guessing the wire passes through the thread and stops you from using a socket (are they SVC lights?)
If that is the case I have the same setup and no way can you use a spanner.
But I might have a solution if the above is the problem..
I've bought a long reach socket which I intend to cut the bottom 1/2" drive off. Then I'm going to cut a slot all the way down the socket to allow the wires to pass through. On the bottom of the socket I'm going to weld on a large nut also with a slot in.
This way I can tighten the nut (with the wires hanging out the bottom of the socket) with a spanner on the tacked on nut.
You just need to leave enough spare cable to pass through the socket.

That's what I plan to do on my lights (not tried it yet though but have bought the socket)

Sorry but did that make any sense....

ps... cars looking good..

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa472/JohnoSS1/

Johno

Last edited by Johno : 7th June 2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 7th June 2013, 09:41 PM

Johno they are SVC and yes the cables going through the thread is dropping me using a socket. Modifying a deep socket sounds like a good plan, have you tried dissembling the lights to remove the wires allowing a normal socket to be used? I tried to the other day but couldn't find my 3mm Allen key.

Old 7th June 2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno View Post
Hi Tatey,
Do you have a better picture of the headlight problem from underneath?
By what you are saying I'm guessing the wire passes through the thread and stops you from using a socket (are they SVC lights?)
If that is the case I have the same setup and no way can you use a spanner.
But I might have a solution if the above is the problem..
I've bought a long reach socket which I intend to cut the bottom 1/2" drive off. Then I'm going to cut a slot all the way down the socket to allow the wires to pass through. On the bottom of the socket I'm going to weld on a large nut also with a slot in.
This way I can tighten the nut (with the wires hanging out the bottom of the socket) with a spanner on the tacked on nut.
You just need to leave enough spare cable to pass through the socket.

That's what I plan to do on my lights (not tried it yet though but have bought the socket)

Sorry but did that make any sense....
why not keep it even easier ......long socket and just grind away half the socket in the middle nearly up to each of the ends then just use a normal ratchet and thread the wires through the socket....sorry for that little hijack
you are not half plodding away there Simon keep it up mate.
Old 7th June 2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatey View Post
Johno they are SVC and yes the cables going through the thread is dropping me using a socket. Modifying a deep socket sounds like a good plan, have you tried dissembling the lights to remove the wires allowing a normal socket to be used? I tried to the other day but couldn't find my 3mm Allen key.
Yeah,
I was able to pull the wires back into the light and tighten the nut fine.
The main reason for trashing the socket was when it came to setting the lights up. If I left enough slack in the cables inboard of the chassis I could alter the lights angle without removing the wires, just perhaps only cut a few cable ties.
It would be a pain disconnecting the wires each time just to set them up..

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa472/JohnoSS1/

Johno
Old 7th June 2013, 10:01 PM

Kev I would thread the wires through the socket but since using the superseal connectors it wouldn't be possible as the connector is very large, I need to cut a small slot in my headlight brackets to allow me to take off my headlights in the future. Ill do some head scratching tomorrow and see if I can come up with any solutions.