Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
that means i,m old enough to be your father

young whipasnappa

andy
Round here you could almost be my grandfather
Old 18th November 2009, 10:21 PM

Thumbs up

london sean

sorry mate just seen your post with the myford lathe. Im an electrician and had a call out the other week to rewire one it had a horrible old forward reverse switch had to completely replace the controls its all ok now but wondered if you had any problems with yours

cheers mark
Old 18th November 2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonsean69 View Post
option of an easy tune for 170+ (Bike throttle bodies and decent ECU)
Its not that easy! First off you'll need a custom manifold for around £150 from boggs. Then the throttle bodies (£120 for R1 throttle bodies on ebay) and an aftermarket ECU, say a Megasquirt for Edis4 for around £350 from extraefi. Even getting tuned on a rolling road you'll be happy with 160bhp. People throw around big bhp figures with bolt on mods, but its just not going to happen.
Old 18th November 2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkybagnall View Post
london sean

sorry mate just seen your post with the myford lathe. Im an electrician and had a call out the other week to rewire one it had a horrible old forward reverse switch had to completely replace the controls its all ok now but wondered if you had any problems with yours

cheers mark
Nah, mine's sweet as, it's still on the original (1947!!!) Hoover motor.

Forward and reverse is set by a tumbler gear on mine
Old 18th November 2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezee View Post
Its not that easy! First off you'll need a custom manifold for around £150 from boggs. Then the throttle bodies (£120 for R1 throttle bodies on ebay) and an aftermarket ECU, say a Megasquirt for Edis4 for around £350 from extraefi. Even getting tuned on a rolling road you'll be happy with 160bhp. People throw around big bhp figures with bolt on mods, but its just not going to happen.
I never mentioned prices Almost anything is easy with the right money thrown at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
a Roadster that i see very often has a 2ltr zetec on bike carbs & megajolt & is one rapid car , approx 170bhp.
Sounds pretty cheap to me, although the use of carbs would need to be looked at in terms of emissions. Megajolt is about £150-200 I believe (not too sure as I am going FI route, probably with an Emerald ECU @ around £650 for reasons to be revealed soon enough)

Also, GSXR is the preferred manifold, as they can be re-spaced to fit an ST170 manifold, complete with ST170 fuel rail, injectors etc.
I have heard that ZX12 throttle bodies match almost perfectly, although at 48mm they are a tad big.

Don't forget that when fitting one of these lumps to a kit car, the standard, restrictive exhaust system will hit the bin, as will the airbox.

By all accounts, (although I have not done it personally) a std. 2.0 Zetec (130bhp) will achieve 160-170bhp with throttle bodies when fitted to a kit car.
Obviously this would include a decent exhaust system, free flowing intake and user programmable ECU, a little bit of DIY porting, just to match the intake and exhaust manifolds. Nothing really beyond the realms of practicality for a kit car builder

A standard car has to meet certain emissions/fuel economy targets. A car that is only driven in a 'spirited' fashion, might not put fuel economy at the top of the list.

This is the route I am going, although I am starting with a slightly more powerful lump to start with, for a degree of future proofing (I have further mods planned).

Last edited by londonsean69 : 18th November 2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 19th November 2009, 12:11 AM

and lastly before you try and fit the ford 8 valve twin cam (dohc)also known as the twinky speak to axle on here ..........
he has managed it but it has been a nightmare for him..
the Pinto or CVH must be the easiest route to go with the zetec the more expensive option
cheers les g
Old 19th November 2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
There have been a few prop's torn apart over time and many seem to be with quite good engines. With a short prop as in our cars there must be less flexing to take the snap out of the dropped clutches on high speed getaways.
There was a big thread on LB about this

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
Any just saying if thinking of upgrading the engine think what else needs to be uprated as well.
Gearbox, to lay the power down
Clutch, to get power to said box
Brakes, to stop said monster
Undercrackers, to contain excitement from all above
Life insurance - need I say more
Old 19th November 2009, 01:15 AM

Adrian raises a very good point indeed,

after seeing that photo of a prop thru the tranny tunnel, a very good point indeed.

cheers
andy
Old 19th November 2009, 09:27 AM

For the sake of safety and £100 i would definitely recommend a good prop. For mine Dunning and Fairbank in Leeds made me an excellent prop for £95 rated to 200bhp. Well worth it.....

AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 19th November 2009, 09:57 AM

OK, I have read the input here and made a few decisions. To keep the price down I am going to go the single donor route but build the car so it will take an MT75. I am going to stay off the beer, can't risk erectile dysfunction at my age Who would have thought I could have got such a wide range of advice from any one forum Thanks Sean!!
I like the sound of the Zetec (especially if I could find an "s" variant) but I really need to do this on a budget if I am to get official aurthorisation form "the management" and keep my private parts intact.
Best to all,
Enoch